List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] 4.4 Feature guide and visual guide
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-01 8:52:54

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Luca Beltrame <einar@heavensinferno.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since beta 1 has been finally tagged last night, and that now feature freeze
> is in effect, I think this is the perfect time to think about the visual guide
> and the feature guide (are they one and the same?). I'd like to give a hand
> there (I'll jump on beta 1 as soon as openSUSE makes packages for it): I may
> not have a lot of time but every little bit helps, right?

Luca,

I love you. Of course in a very manly and non-gay way, but still ;-)
Great you want to get this going!

> I've got a few questions down the road:
>
> - Are the Google Docs versions the most actual ones?
> - Will the focus be on "macro-areas" like the one for SC 4.2?
> - Any other things to be aware of?

Generally, the feature guide/visual guide/visual feature guide or
whatever you call it (it's one thing) can be written best following
this schedule:
Create a page for the modules (edu, games, workspace etc) on google docs
take a few together - I often add utils to workspace, take edu and
games together etc.
On each page put the list of new features (using the techbase feature
list and info from blogs - link to those). Group the features per app
or tool, of course.
Then start writing. Not every feature has to be written about, if an
app has only one or two minor changes don't mention them. And use
terms like "usability and UI work" to summarize changes, esp over
groups of apps ("Kstars and Kalzium have seen various improvements to
their user interface" instead of all the small changes)
Then decide on cool screenshots and screencasts
Then ask those with svn fu to get it in SVN. Send them (links to) the
pics and screencasts.
And done.

In between lots of review and help. Last year Carl Symons has helped a
lot doing reviewing and rewording, he promised help this year again so
count him in ;-)

The feature guide is a bit easier than the release announcement - you
don't have to focus on only the most important things and extract key
messages and such. It is meant for those who want to know it all (well
those will read the code but you get my drift). So a bit summarizing
is OK but there should be details ;-)

Again, thanks for taking this on!

grtz
Jos

> I've got a holiday coming up next weekend so I should at least have time to
> write down something...

Having the main structure & the list of features is very important -
from then on it's just filling in the blanks. So plz focus on that!