List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] some boilerplate for our downstreams
From:       Marco Martin <notmart () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-30 10:21:52

On Thursday 26 November 2009, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 3:46 AM, Nathan Ogden <nathanogden76@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Regarding the example given above, I'll make this comment. Since most of
> > these conversations right now would be concerning the desktop version as
> > opposed to the netbook version, I propose we use KDE Plasma Desktop to
> > replace KDE X.x. I would assume we would want to add the version number,
> > too. I think we could treat this similar to the way Canonical does with
> > Ubuntu/Kubuntu and Ubunut Netbook Remix. Most of the time, people say
> > Ubuntu/Kubuntu because they are talking about the desktop. They say
> > Ubuntu Netbook Remix when referring to the netbook.
> >
> > Regarding the boilerplate language in general, if someone can give me
> > some more specifics, I might be able to come up with something soon. I
> > have some time off through the end of the week. For specifics, I am
> > referring to things such as 1) what kinds of situations (release notes,
> > installation media terminology, person-to-person, etc.) are we focusing
> > on right now?, 2) are we just concerned with the wording for the brand
> > (KDE Plasma Desktop) or are we also wanting to give all the wording for
> > the whole conversation they may have?
>
> I agree with your point. Generally, one should refer to what currently
> often is named "KDE 4.x" as "KDE Plasma Desktop 4.x" or just "Plasma
> Desktop 4.x".
>
> So indeed, it would be a choice between:
> - Gnome
> - KDE Plasma Desktop
> - KDE Plasma Netbook
> - KDE Plasma Mediacenter
that's good, because would make it way more prominent than other offerings,
however, it could be a bit confusing, i could imagine someone installing the
mediacenter or the netbook on a machine intended for a normal destop, so "oh
this KDE thing sucks"...
it would be needed something "select your type of device" don't have an answer
how to make such a question appealing and not annoying tough

Cheers,
Marco Martin