List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] KDE on Windows release dates
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-26 22:10:44

I'm copying in an exchange from kde-windows, see below for why.

On Thursday 26 November 2009 21:31:31 you wrote:
> Laurent Espitallier schrieb:
> > I know KDE release dates in general, I know there will be nightlies with
> > windows installer, know past release dates on this page :
> > http://windows.kde.org/...
> >
> > ...but I have no idea of next KDE on Windows release dates. Is there a
> > roadmap or a rule like : X days after a KDE release for Windows builds ?
> > Maybe I don't have to wait ? :-D
>
> Well, normally packagers get the new source code one week ahead of the
> release (at least for KDE). So after KDE 4.3.4 was tagged in svn (which
> hasn't yet happened) and which you could check here:
> http://websvn.kde.org/tags/KDE/
> So I normally start building packages then if I find enough time.
> Building packages needs about a day, more problematic is that some
> packages fail then and I might need to work on a patch then and rebuild
> that program with the patch. This also makes clear why building the
> packages might need a bit longer then.
> So normally Windows packages can be ready up to 3-4 days before the
> official release but if to much time is needed it can also be behind the
> schedule.

Should we ask Patrick to email kde-promo when they're packaging things up and
let us know if they'll be ready on the main SC release day? Then we could
mention KDE on Windows builds in the release announcement and/or the dot story
(I just had a look at announcements and dot stories for 4.3 and 4.3.3 and
don't see any mention of the Windows builds).

If Windows builds follow a little later than the main SC release (more likely
for the major releases?) then we could run a short dot article on those when
they're ready.

Stu