List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] camp KDE
From:       Justin Kirby <justin () neomantra ! org>
Date:       2009-11-25 2:36:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Stu,

I contacted all the California based LUGs on that Linux.org page a week or
so ago.  Got some responses already saying they're posting on their boards,
mailing lists, etc but also a lot of bounced messages.  Kind of mixed
success I'd say.  I also contacted several of the Ubuntu LoCo's in the
United States...unfortunately there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a
Kubuntu LoCo. (does such a thing exist for SuSe or other KDE friendly
distros?)  Last but not least, I've spammed a few message boards on LinkedIn
for KDE/Kubuntu/QT groups.

College radio isn't too popular in the USA imho.  There's too much digital
media out there...I don't think AM/FM gets much attention in that age
bracket anymore.  Or at least it didn't when I was in university several
years ago.  Newspapers tend to get better penetration as they're usually
sitting around all over campus and people often end up reading them while
they're killing time between class.  Perhaps in particular we could target
UCSD's school paper and any other nearby universities.  I'm happy to look
into that if nobody else jumps on it in the next couple days.

I'd also be up for sending out notification to more people if we can come up
with more places to send this info to.  I'm just not well connected enough
yet to have an infinite list of people to contact...but in due time ;-)
Anyhow a wiki (or maybe google doc?  not sure people would want their email
address and names posted on a public wiki) with a longer list of places we
*could* contact would be great for someone like me who has the time to run
down the list hitting everyone with emails.  Here is the template I've been
using in case anyone wants to re-use it, which is sort of a mix of the
contest announcement plus some added text:

<snip>
Hi all,

I'm with the KDE Promo team and wanted to make you aware of our *free*
upcoming Camp KDE event being held at UCSD from January 15-22, 2010.  Camp
KDE attendees can meet the KDE community, participate in KDE talks, take
free Qt developer training (normally not free), and join our hacking and
planning sessions.

All the details can be found at http://camp.kde.org/.  We'd love to have
your LoCo members who are interested in or already using Kubuntu/KDE come
out to join us for some or all of the camp.  All they have to do is register
on the web site.

A few important side notes:

1) If any of you are interested in presenting, the call for presentations is
open until Dec. 5.  You can submit to campkde-organizers@kde.org.

2) We recently announced a contest which will provide the winner with free
transportation to the event.  Details can be found at
http://dot.kde.org/2009/11/19/camp-kde-be-free-contest-now-open

We look forward to seeing you there!  Feel free to let me know if you have
any questions.

Best Regards,
Justin Kirby
KDE-Promo Team