List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] About KDE dialog text
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-11 15:48:24

> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:20:00 -0800
> From: "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo@kde.org>
> Subject: [kde-promo] About KDE dialog text
> To: kde-promo@kde.org
>
> hi all...
>
> someone mentioned that the text in the "About KDE" dialog was a little off
> given our new branding stance. so i took a quick stab at it. here's draft 0:
>
> http://plasma.kde.org/media/newabout.png
>
> please comment, suggest, etc and i'll make the changes in the code so that we
> have an About KDE in KDE SD 4.4 that reflects our branding positions.
>
> this needs to be in before string freeze on Nov 25th.
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo

Well done!

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 21:00:42 -0800
> From: Chani <chanika@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [kde-promo] About KDE dialog text
> To: KDE Promo <kde-promo@kde.org>
>
> I know that in English english it should be "co-operative"... but I'm not sure
> about american english.

This is proper usage in U.S. English. "Co-operative" sounds like a
neologism. Names of cooperative businesses are often shortened to
"Co-op" (Community Food Co-op). Without the hyphen, the meaning
changes slightly (Farmers' Coop).

> the "join the kde team" tab could probably do with some tweaking too...
> nothing important there though :)

This should reflect the KDE branding, especially "national" to "world-wide".

The tab names are carry-overs from the previous version.
Proposal...
     About, Report, Join, Support (KDE is poetry)
     Leave off "KDE" on the tabs (avoids overuse of KDE)

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 07:25:10 +0100
> From: Thomas Thym <ungethym@mevin.net>
> Subject: Re: [kde-promo] About KDE dialog text
> To: KDE Promo <kde-promo@kde.org>
>
> Very nice!
>
> Just two minor comments.
>
> First paragraph: I would mention KDE also with SD.
>
> "... KDE Development Platform and KDE Software Distribution" instead of
> "... KDE Development Platform and Software Distribution".

While this suggestion may seem like nitpicking, the paragraph is the
crux of the current KDE branding.

Current:
KDE is a world-wide network of software engineers, artists, writers,
translators and facilitators who are committed to Free Software
development. This community has created hundreds of Free Software
titles as part of the KDE Development Platform and Software
Distribution.

Proposed:
KDE is a world-wide network of software engineers, artists, writers,
translators and facilitators who are committed to Free Software
development. This community has created hundreds of Free Software
titles that are part of the KDE Software Distribution. Software
creation has been simplified because the KDE Development Platform
provides standards-based integration of applications and components.

> Second paragraph: The word "enterprise" was a little bit strange for me. I \
> associated it with "corporate / commercial enterprise".
I think that "enterprise" is appropriate. "a purposeful or industrious
undertaking (especially one that requires effort or boldness)";
enterprising--"marked by an independent energetic spirit and by
readiness to undertake or experiment"; related to entrepreneur.
Unfortunate that the word has been co-opted to describe big systems
for big money for big business.