List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Request: Need an explanation text about Kate/KDevelop
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2009-10-21 22:23:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hello KDE-Promo!

I'll try to organize a joined Kate & KDevelop hacksprint in Berlin. I work at
the Physics faculty of the FU-Berlin [1], at the IT department. I thought it
would be no problem to get a room for a week, but it looks like I
underestimated the bureaucracy ;-)

My superior has nothing against the meeting, but he is not in the position to
decide whether I could occupy a room for one week. I'll have to hand in a
request to whoever is responsible for this.

And this is where I need your help: I'll have to explain:

* what is a HackSprint
* why is it important
* what is KDE / Kate / KDevelop
* why are they important for Science / Physics

It really looks to me like all you promo wizards and witches could help me out
a lot here. I'll hope to organize this event at my university, and for that
I'll have to persuade the bureaucracy. If you could write me something, that
explains the importance of such an event it would help me a lot. If you couple
it with the benefits science in general and the FU in perticular would have
from it, I doubt someone would reject my request. As a benefit for the FU I'd
for one suggest the good promo they get, and imo that's not to neglect.

It would be cool if the text would be in German, but otoh I doubt it's much of
a difference, since in Science/Physics pretty much everyone has to speak
English for the papers. So any help is welcome!

To answer my questions above in a quick'n'dirty way:

* what is a HackSprint
A gettogether/meeting of open source developers, from all over the world,
working on a project. All these developers do it in their free time, without
getting payed for it. I.e. renting a place to hold the meeting is out of the
question.

* why is it important
- It greatly accellerates development, makes API reviews much easier and
faster
- it's great to get to know the other developers, esp. those from other
countries
- it brings a social aspect to the development process, hardening the bond to
the project, hence making it less likely that developers jump off

* what is KDE
=> you do that much better than me :D
probably highlight scientific projects? like the new cantor, or that physics
simulator, Kile!!

* what is Kate
To cite the kate website:
"The Kate project develops two main products: KatePart, the advanced editor
component which is used in numerous KDE applications requiring a text editing
component, and Kate, a MDI text editor application. In addition, we provide
KWrite, a simple SDI editor shell which allows the user to select his/her
favourite editor component."

=> probably have to strip that down, for non-programmers to understand.

Maybe stress that it supports lots of scientific languages (Ansys, B-Method,
GAP, GDL, Matlab, Maxima, Octave, Scilab, TI Basic) in addition to common
programming languages like Haskell, Fortran, C, C++, ... Which are all
potentially used in Scientific projects at the university.

* what is KDevelop
again, from the website:
"KDevelop
    is a free, opensource IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for MS
Windows, Mac OsX, Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD. It is a feature-full, plugin
extendable IDE for C/C++ and other programing languages. It is based on
KDevPlatform, KDE and Qt libraries and is under development since 1998.
KDevPlatform
    is a free, opensource set of libraries that can be used as a foundation
for IDE-like programs. It is programing-language independent, and is planned
to be used by programs like: KDevelop, Quanta, Kile, KTechLab ... etc."

Stress the possibility to push KDevplatform to integrate it with Kile, I bet
they know that LaTeX editor at my univeristy ;-) It would easily become the
best LaTeX editor out there!

Thanks and have a nice day

[1]: http://www.fu-berlin.de
--