List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] article on KDE usability
From:       Troy Unrau <troy.unrau () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-20 21:03:01

Sweet.

Regarding the Gnome thing, it is okay to make comparisons. We just
don't want to fan any user-based flame wars, since KDE an Gnome are
quite friendly with one another, and we have bigger fish to fry. So if
making comparisons is appropriate, don't hesitate to do it - just try
to avoid things where users will jump on it somehow as KDE is
slighting Gnome.

The article(s) will likely be picked up at other websites, like
lwn.net, where the discussion almost inevitably turns into a flame
fest.

Cheers

2009/10/20 Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@gmail.com>:
> On Tuesday 20 October 2009 21:32:14 Danijel wrote:
> > Hi Jos,
> >
> > I could do that, though I'm not sure about comparisons with OS X since
> > I've never actually used it and I haven't been a regular Windows user
> > for years either, though from my recent relatively brief experience of
> > Windows 7, it seems to be slightly more complex than KDE4, at least
> > thinking of Dolphin vs. Windows Explorer for instance.
> >
> > So basically, I just need to rewrite the article to drop the GNOME
> > comparison and focus on the main point which is this idea of making an
> > usable and easy to use system without sacrificing power and flexibility,
> > right?
>
> Well, obviously you don't NEED to do anything, but yes, we'd rather not
> publish bad stuff about Gnome on our news site.
>
> You can add a bit about yourself, I'll use that to introduce you. And anything
> else you like, be it screenshots or a picture of your cat ;-)
>
> I'll review the result and publish it on the dot once it's done. You'll have
> the final word on the piece which is to be published.
>
> Thanks a lot for taking this on, it's cool to see somebody from outside the
> KDE crowd share his opinion, esp if it's positive ;-)
>
> > Regards
> >
> > Daniel
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jos
>
> (ps the CC is the KDE promo mailing list to notify them of an upcoming
> article)
>
> > > Hey Daniel,
> > >
> > > I was unable to find your email but you seem all over the web so it
> > > was just a 'wait until you find a service we both are subscribed to'
> > > and I can send you a msg ;-)
> > >
> > > As you see me's Jos Poortvliet, KDE marketing dude. We noticed your
> > > article on usability in KDE, a nice read. Especially because you seem
> > > to have discovered what we have been trying for the past few years -
> > > not take the easy road but find usability solutions which do not
> > > compromise on features nor ease of use. Made me happy you noticed that.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I send this msg because I would like to ask if you're
> > > interested in morphing your article in something for the dot, our news
> > > outlet (dot.kde.org). I'd rather not use the current text verbatim
> > > because we wouldn't want to stirr up trouble by comparing KDE and
> > > Gnome so directly. However comparing to windows or mac is completely
> > > OK ;-)
> > >
> > > So, if you're interested, let me know. We can do this any way you want
> > > - you rewriting the piece but also do an interview-like thing. We
> > > generally do extensive editing (of course checking with original
> > > author) to ensure the wording, spelling etc are good - iow even if you
> > > would be a lazy writer and send us a rough draft, we'd be very happy
> > > to finish it up.
> > >
> > > Send me an email on jospoortvliet@kde.org!
> > >
> > > Cheers and thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Jos Poortvliet
> > > & the KDE marketing team

> [...]

Troy Unrau, B.Sc.G.Sc.(Hons.)
Planetary Sciences Student - University of Western Ontario