List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Vox Humanitatis article
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-16 14:37:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 15 October 2009 13:44:37 Roland Wolters wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> as said in my introduction thread I would like to take over this article.
> Since other people already started off with collecting information my task
> will mainly be to follow their goal.
> The idea is therefore to post an interview with the VOX/Humanitatis people,
> combined probably with a short introduction and a final conclusion.
>
> The people we can interview are Parley developer Frederik and Sabine and
>  Outi Sane from vox huanitatis.
>
> Here are the questions prepared so far:
>
> - Tell us a bit about yourself as a person?
> - What is Vox Humanitatis?
> - What are the main goals of your organization?
> - How did you get in contact with KDE in general?
> - Why did you choose Parley/KDE edu?
> - Are you using Parley on Linux or Windows/Mac? Why is the cross-desktop
> nature of Parley important?
> - Does Parley do everything you need it to?
> - What exactly have you been doing with Parley?
> - Were you previously involved/aware of KDE? Has this made you more
>  interested in contributing/using KDE for other tasks?
> - What are the plans for the future?
> - How do people join Vox Humanitatis/Parley? What skills do they need?
> - What is the status of KDE in your language - are the translations good?
>  How does it compare to (proprietary/free) alternatives? Does KDE pay
>  enough attention to languages other than English?
> - How popular/important is KDE/Free Software in your country?
>
> Here are some more questions I propose:
> - How is Parley used by your people, what kind of technical
> knowledge/experience do they have?
> (The idea is to show that even "normal people" can use KDE.)
> - Are you in contact with the deveopers, were you able to share ideas and
> feature-requests?
> (The idea here is to show that using FLOSS also means that you can
>  influence it, and that in fact you can get in contact with the people who
>  write the software.)
>
> Since the questions above are mainly user-specific, I would like to ask
> Fredrik some specific questions to highlight KDE's point of view:
> - When did you first hear that VH uses Parley?
> (Idea: people sue the software much more often than the developers know)
> - Have you been in contact with the VH-people?
> - Were they able to share ideas and feature requests with you? Does this
> influence the future development of Parley?
> (Idea: Yes. Well, I hope the answer will be positive, but first we have to
>  get the information anyway, then we can decide what will get into the
>  article)
>
> What do you think?

I think it is a lot, would make a huge article. I would suggest to start with
the most important questions, and take it from there. They might answer the
other ones by themselves, if not, you can decide to ask more if it seems
reasonable depending on the size of the article.

Thanks for taking this on, Roland! I'm looking forward to your first dot
submission in a long time (and probably by far the longest you ever wrote
hehe, ignoring the ones on your blog) :D

Cheers,

Jos