List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Communication of the upcoming Kubuntu Netbook
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-09-30 18:29:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On September 29, 2009, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I'm interested in feedback on how to communicate these messages in a way
> that communcates both what it is and what it isn't.

as Jos already said, thanks for coordinating this with us.

i mentioned on a phone call with Riddel that i'd personally like to see it
billed as a "technology preview". it says all the right things imho about
where we are right now. it's usable, but it's definitely not finished.

the important bullet points for me are:

* it is a preview release of the work-in-progress Plasma Netbook environment

* the goal is to create an interface that realizes the potential of the highly
mobile netbook form factor[1]

* it essentially works today, though there are still pieces missing and
polishing left to do to achieve our full vision (and i'm cool with "our
vision" meaning not just Plasma's but also Kubuntu's vision here)

* so people know when to expect something more complete, note that the 1.0
release of Plasma Netbook will come in January and be released as part of
Kubuntu 10.4

* as a preview, feedback and contributions are both welcome

if Kubuntu would like, we can also arrange for quotes from the Plasma Netbook
team to include in your release announcement.

[1] : mixing online and local applications, smaller screens, for quick usage
as well as focused use sessions (phones tend to be primarily the former;
laptops/desktops primarily the latter; netbooks are an interesting and
challenging mix), battery powered most of time, modest hardware (low RAM
compared to full laptops, slower CPUs, Atom/ARM/MIPS)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se