List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] "Help KDE: become an active contributor" (promo
From:       Myriam Schweingruber <schweingruber () pharma-traduction ! ch>
Date:       2009-08-26 15:01:34

Hi Justin,

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 16:36, Justin Kirby<justin@neomantra.org> wrote:
> Dario,
>
> This is the number one issue I had in mind when I decided to start
> contributing.  As a non-developer I fully rely on the work being done by the
> KDE contributors so it seemed obvious to me early on that the best way for
> me to help improve KDE is to help find and retain more developers *and*
> non-developer contributors :)
>
> I will start brainstorming about some organized ways to find new
> contributors and setup a shared document somewhere for those interested to
> contribute ideas.  I'm assuming others have spent some time thinking about
> this as well.

Indeed, as you can see what I posted in that forum thread.
As not everybody is reading the forum, I paste it here again:

I always had in mind to do more promotion in local universities and
technical high schools (or whatever those are called in your country).
We should prepare a leaflet we could send or bring to the IT
department to do some promotion, maybe getting in touch with the
professors/assistants/PhD students and such and ask them to help us
promote collaboration on KDE.
The leaflet should include links to the techbase wiki, the forum and
the devel mailing list as well as to #kde, #kde-devel and #kde-bugs so
we can point people to the work waiting to be done.
Seeking for maintainers is an arduous task and I am sure it's far from
being junior jobs, but it would give us some more momentum. The more
people we are, the more likely it is that orphaned applications find a
maintainer. Of course it is illusory to think that those applications
will find a maintainer very fast, as people tend to flock to the more
"public" stuff. This of course also means that we should have sort of
a "Welcome Committee" for these students, and very clear pointers and
links to where to start.

We did this on several occasions in our local (and tiny) LUG, and it
brought quite some attention. Even now, years after, there still is
one of our early posters hanging on the board in the Physics
department in my local university with a probably outdated contact
address, funny how long such things ten to stick on such boards :) (I
didn't verify myself, haven't put a foot there in years, but I was
told so recently by a student).

Collaboration with local LUGs is also a nice idea, I know of quite a
few people actually being members in a LUG, helping with installation
and do support every now and then but never even thought of getting
their hands into actually helping in a project.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org