List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] booth at the Ecumenical Church Day
From:       Frederik Gladhorn <gladhorn () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-08-05 20:23:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 19:16:43 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Bjoern Schiessle<schiessle@fsfeurope.org>
wrote:
> > Hi Aaron,
> >
> > "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo@kde.org> writes:
> >> Bjoern: what sort of, if any, additional support beyond setting up booth
> >> contents and providing a bunch of happy, knowledgeable people to staff
> >> the booth would you be looking for?
> >
> > Setting up booth contents and providing a bunch of happy, knowledgeable
> > people would be already the most important part.
> >
> > Beyond that there are some things we have to think about:
> >
> > - We should talk about a good concept for the booth at large to make the
> >  best use out of our area. But this can happen at a later date.
I agree, that having good arguments is necessary here. I bet the FSFE has
already some material in that direction.
This event most likely will involve much more basic introductions to free
software in general, so people coming should be prepared for that.
Anyone who was at a booth at less linux centric events like CeBit knows how
exhausting this can be I bet ;)
On the other hand the practical demonstration will be fun anyways.

> > - We found some rules on their homepage we have to consider:
> >
> >  * The booth costs 300Euro. I know it's not a perfect solution to
> >    pay for a booth. But in this case I think it could be worth
> >    considering the opportunities it provides to us.
Since this is very different from the usual Linux events, the KDE e.V. will
most likely cover the cost for the booth.

> >  * We will get only 8 exhibitor passes. This would be 4 for FSFE and 4
> >    for KDE. If we have more volunteers they would have to pay some
> >    admission fee. I don't know the prices yet.
In addition to the cost for the booth, this shouldn't matter much if more
people want to do booth work.
I assume those passes can be passed on to others each day?

> >  * It is not allowed to sell commercial stuff. An exception exists for
> >    "project-related products" which are not more expensive than
> >    15EUR. We will check if this would allow us to sell our t-shirts
> >    etc.
> >
> >  * No active distribution of advertising material. (Motivated by
> >    antipollution, no waste of paper, etc)
>
> How about livecd's?
active distribution - so you cannot bug people to take them, but having them
for people requesting them or take away is fine as far as I understand.
Actually this sounds like one of these events where hand outs or a poster with
very basic information about what KDE is would be in order.

Cheers
Frederik