List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] system requirements in announcement?!?
From:       "Olaf =?iso-8859-1?q?Schmidt-Wischh=F6fer?=" <ojschmidt () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-08-04 18:42:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[ Troy Unrau, Sonntag 02 August 2009 ]
> There are no hard system requirements.  I run KDE in a virtual machine
> where I've assigned it 750MB ram, and it runs smoothly.  I guess I
> could try slowly lowering that number until it breaks, but I get the
> feeling that it would run with even 256MB (although slowing to swap)

Yes, KDE 4.3 runs just fine with 256 MiB RAM.

I regularly use my notebook with 256 MiB RAM, and the speed is fine.

Sure, compositing is switched off, and the desktop search is deactivated. Apart
from that, I make full use of the KDE workspace and the KDE applications (e.g.
Marble as desktop background and Kontact with more that a thousand archived
emails per folder).

For a few months, I had even no swap memory at all (caused by a broken
distribution upgrade), and KDE was running more or less OK. (I do not remember
whether that was KDE4 or KDE3, though.)

Olaf