List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] system requirements in announcement?!?
From:       Chani <chanika () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-08-02 20:13:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On August 2, 2009 12:31:42 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> <h4>
>     KDE 4.3 System requirements
> </h4>
> KDE software runs on various hardware and operating systems. Besides

"various hardware" is missing something.
"various kinds of hardware..."?
"various hardware configurations..."?

> Linux and various other Unix based operating systems you can find

remove "various", you've used it once and it's not needed here.
and.. what did we decide about Unix/UNIX?

> Microsoft Windows versions of most KDE applications on the <a
> href="http://windows.kde.org">KDE on Windows</a> site and Apple Mac OS
> X versions on the <a href="http://mac.kde.org/">KDE on Mac site</a>.
> Experimental builds of KDE applications for various mobile platforms
> like MS Windows Mobile and Symbian can be found on the web but are
> currently entirely unsupported.

I'd remove "entirely". it's not necessary and "currently entirely" sounds
weird because of the double -ly. :)

> For reasonable performance of KDE applications, ensure you are using
> 1GB ram, and have a video card with drivers that properly support
> compositing and hardware accellerated drawing.

"accelerated", one l.

can we add a note that it'll still work with less? :) maybe...

KDE applications can still run with less resources, but performance may vary.
Disabling compositing and other effects will increase performance.

... now I just wish I knew how to turn off animations n'stuff... we don't have
that eye-candy wizard any more, do we?

> Most performance problems with the <em>NVidia</em> binary graphics
> driver have been <a
> href="http://techbase.kde.org/User:Lemma/KDE4-NVIDIA">resolved</a> in
> the
> latest releases of the driver available from NVidia. However due to
> recent 'plumbing' in the <a href="http://x.org">graphics stack</a> on
> linux certain software and hardware configurations might still
> encounter issues with drawing speed and general slowness. Please
> contact your distribution vendor or driver developers when you
> encounter issues.

recent plumbing?
that doesn't make sense. "recent" makes me expect a verb.
maybe you meant recent plumbing changes?

also, the sentence feels too long... I'd add commas after "However" and
"linux".

and maybe s/when/if/ at the end ;) we don't want the impression that issues
are inevitable.

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com