List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] rebranding, finalising KDE 4.3 announcement
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-08-01 1:38:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

various thoughts ........

On Thursday 30 July 2009, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
>     The KDE community offers a powerful and complete desktop
> experience for Unix like operating systems.

main points?

* it's a desktop shell
* Linux/UNIX
* Key components (KWin, Plasma, Dolphin..)

perhaps:

===
The KDE Desktop Workspace provides a powerful and complete desktop experience
that features excellent integration with Linux and UNIX operating systems.
This efficient working surface is designed for users of desktop, laptop and
netbook systems.

The key components that make up the KDE Desktop Workspace include:

 * a powerful window manager (KWin) that provides modern 3D graphical effects
 * a cutting-edge desktop and panels system (Plasma Desktop) that features
productivity enhancements and online integration through customizable widgets
 * a user-friendly, network- and content-aware file manager (Dolphin)
 * a search and launch system for running commands and finding useful
information (KRunner)
 * easy access to desktop and system controls (SystemSettings)

Read on for a short list of improvements to the KDE Desktop Workspace.
===

>  Leveraging the KDE Application Development Framework a great number
> of applications has been build by the KDE Community. A selection of
> those applications is contained in the KDE base distribution, divided
> in several Application Suites. Among others, there are the KDE Network
> Applications, the KDE Multimedia Applications, the KDE Educational
> Applications and the KDE Utility Applications. Below you can find an
> overview of some improvements in several of these Application Suites.

key points?

* really great apps
* integrated (via the K.A.F.)
* comprehensive
* cross-platform

?

=====
A great number of sophisticated applications are provided by the KDE community
which take full advantage of the powerful KDE Application Framework. A
selection of these applications are included in the KDE Software Distribution,
divided up by category into various Application Suites. These include:

* KDE Network Applications
* KDE Multimedia
* KDE Graphics Tools
* KDE Kontact Suite (for personal information management and communication)
* KDE Educational Suite
* KDE Games
* KDE Utilities
* KDE Software Development Platform

Together they form a comprehensive set of desktop essentials that run on all
modern operating systems.

=====

hm.. obviously this is also just a draft suggestion, and the names in the list
above diverge a bit from the actual module names in svn, particularly Kontact
instead of PIM. *thinks*

we have some odd ducks in there, such as Network. it's really "Kopete Instant
Messenger + some other stuff". we should probably be promoting Kopete as a
first tier item more prominently, regardless of what module it's in?

>     The KDE community brings to the forefront many innovations for
> application developers. An entire infrastructure has been designed and
> implemented to help programmers create robust and comprehensive
> applications in the most efficient manner, eliminating the complexity
> and tediousness of general application development. This KDE
> Application Development Framework implements the latest advances in
> framework technology positioning it in direct competition with popular
> development frameworks while offering unique features, including
> cross-platform capabilities, a powerful embedding framework (kparts)
> and much more. Read below on what has been improved or introduced in
> the 4.3 release.

main points to make? perhaps:

* innovative
* powerful
* proven
* efficiency (e.g. improved application development time)
* cross platform
* appropriately licensed
* comprehensive

yeesh, that's a LOT! probably too much? let's see:

=====
The KDE community brings many innovations for application developers to the
forefront in the KDE Application Framework. Building on the strengths of
Nokia's Qt library, this integrated and consistent framework has been crafted
in direct response to the needs of real-world application developers.

The KDE Application Framework helps developers create robust applications
efficiently by streamlining the complexity and tedious tasks usually
associated with application development. Its use by KDE applications provides
a compelling showcase for its flexibility and utility.

Liberally licensed under the LGPL (allowing for both proprietary and open
source development) and cross-platform (Linux, UNIX, Mac and MS Windows), it
provides:

* a powerful component model (KParts)
* network transparent data access (KIO)
* configuration management
* dozens of useful and usable widgets ranging from file dialogs to font
selectors
* semantic search integration (Nepomuk)
* hardware awareness (Solid)
* multimedia access (Phonon)
* stunning graphic design components (Oxygen)
* .. and much more!
===

Ok, that's probably way too long, but perhaps you can just cut the list out to
turn it into an intro piece? perhaps a click-through to a full page describing
the framework would do?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se