List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Simon Listens - Interview Questions
From:       Troy Unrau <troy.unrau () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-26 6:56:57

Simon Dot Article Questions (part 1)

Please answer the following questions as best you see fit.  I haven't
yet determined the final format of the article, so I may print these
verbatim in some way (interview style) or may simply quote where
appropriate (article style).

Additionally, I have yet to install and try Simon myself, which I plan
to do before the article goes live, so that I can provide additional
"third party" perspective on the project.  This is important as the
developers are sometimes too close to their code to provide a good
user-centric overiew, and will provide some balance to your interview
answers.

Once I get the first answers back, and have had a chance to play with
the program, I may send a list of followup questions to help finalize
the article.

I reserve the right to edit for spelling and grammar, but will show
you the rough draft before publishing so that you may also add
feedback on the final result.

Okay, so I'll begin with a number of very basic questions, and I
realise that some of this is available on the website already:

- Who are you, and what is your background.

- Is there a preferred way to refer to the software when writing
articles, or will "Simon" work?

- What is the original motivation behind creating Simon.

- Do you have a specific, personal motivation separate from the
project's motivation?

- When was Simon started?

- How long before the first working versions were produced?

- What platforms are targetted? Does it run on other unices?

- Why did you decide on KDE 4 integration?

- Do you have any videos of the current release available?

- Do you have any userbase estimates?

- What advantages resulted in the migration to KDE 4?

- Any significant advantages or disadvantages to using Simon in KDE vs. Windows?

- What programming language was used?

- How many developers are working on the project? Are any of them
sponsored to work full-time?

- How does the voice recognition work?

- Any plans to add dictation?

- Have you found use cases outside of the initial accessibility use cases?

- How do new developers get involved?

- What is the required hardware to use Simon with KDE?

- How do users get help? (Mailing lists? IRC? Forums? etc...)

- Has anyone successfully used Simon to implement a 'Star
Trek'-inspired user interface?

- Can Simon issue D-BUS commands?

- Are there any special ways in which Simon integrates into KDE?

- Was there a particular milestone set for the recent release, and if so, what?

- What are the plans for the future?

- Do you have any plans to integrate Simon into KDE in an official capacity?

- What about users of other free desktop environments? Does Simon work
in Gnome/XFCE/etc.?

- Are there similar 'competing' products out there? Are they open or closed...

- Does Simon have something that you would call the 'killer feature'?

- Where does the name 'Simon' come from?

- If Simon is not shipped with a user's distro, what is the best way
to obtain it?

Okay, that's all I can think of for now -- please answer as many or as
few as you'd like, and be as verbose as you desire.

Cheers