List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] please blogs & input
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-08 11:27:29

Hi all,

I'd love some input on the following blog, and more importantly, how
about blogging about that stuff too?

GCDS is continuing. The party Monday night was very quiet for me, and
I noticed many other people being rather quiet as well. Guess we
should have at least one day between parties so people can gain their
strength back.

Anyway. Lots of stuff going on here. We've moved to the university (no
beach close by - and just now it's getting sunny). It's hot here, no
airco. But power and a cable for every chair - very good network. I'm
now listening to Gokmen who's talking about Pardus and KDE
integration. On my left there is Jonathan with a beach pic of him and
our BUGSQUAD mistress (Blauzah/Alex/etc).

Yesterday the two PR ppl (Thomas Keup, GNOME and me) planned a
cross-desktop marketing meeting. Well, it was initially planned for
Thursday morning, then moved to Tuesday. Me being <a
href="http://nowwhatthe.blogspot.com/2009/07/gcds-day-3.html">slightly
off on Monday</a>, I failed to notice there was the KDE e.V. meeting.
No cross-desktop meeting after all.

We did have some interesting discussions while we planned the bof, and
I'll try to put some of the ideas we had here (or rather, MY
interpretation, don't go and kick Thomas for what I say).

The goal we have is to get a bottom-up approach in marketing for the
Free Desktop. As both KDE and GNOME can do this, we wanted to discuss
this together. This is not about technical plans or roadmaps - it is
about getting people enthusiastic and get them to spread the word
about what they love.

That's basically the point - love. Why do we love KDE or GNOME? Those
reasons are different for everyone, but often emotional rather than
rational. This is a well known fact - how do you get people to believe
you? Focus on emotion rather than ration. So we need to know what
emotions we feel and convey them to others.

According to research there are 5 important areas people are sensitive
to these days:
- Persionalisation
- Emotionalisation
- Simplicity
- Eco-awareness
- Austerity (less is more)

To keep things simple, I'll group this into three, cuz personally
that's how I feel about these:
Personal
Simple
Good

So how does KDE make you happy in these area's?

For me, one of the strongest points of KDE is how personal it is - you
can make it look and work any way you want. Especially plasma is very
good in this department. It makes me feel like my laptop is really
mine - compare it to putting a sticker on something that's yours, or
painting your room, or even picking your own clothes. Wouldn't it be
boring if we all were wearing the same grey clothes?

And of course a second part of this is the community - all the great
people here are so cool. The new <a
href="http://www.socialdesktop.org/">Social Desktop</a> initiative is
already bringing the KDE community to your desktop - in KDE 4.3 there
is the social desktop widget showing KDE users in your neighborhood!
You'd be surprised how many people within 5 kilometers of my home
already are testing KDE 4.3 and run this applet.

Simplicity is there in many area's - take network management, it is
far easier with the networkmanager plasmoid in KDE than on windows or
mac. The same goes for many other things, and I like that a lot.

Finally, I truly believe contributing to Free Software (and just USING
is contributing already and makes you a real member of the KDE
community) is very important to the world. Thanks to what we do,
children in Brazil and other countries all over the world have access
to good education. Thanks to what we do the reliance of governments
around the world on a small number of large corporations is decreased.
Thanks to Free Software computers don't need to be replaced as often
and use less power, helping our environment. We spread freedom in
China and other countries were freedom is limited. We allow computer
users around the world to take back control over their own hardware.
After all, in a world where speech depends on software, Free Speech
depends on Free Software*.

So. Think about this. Why do you love KDE? What is it that makes you
happy? Then go and tell people about it. Tell your boyfriend, tell
your girlfriend. Tell your friends, family. Boss, colleagues,
competitors. The pizza boy, the cleaning lady. Everyone!

I'd love to hear some blogs about what makes you love KDE!

Another piece of Cool Stuff from GCDS:
Will Stephenson just said he was green (SUSE green, of course) with
envy about the work Pardus has done on KDE integration, and he said
we, as KDE community, should applaud them for it. And so we did ;-)

* by Don Marti jr.