List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] LinuxFest Northwest, 4/25&26, Bellingham, WA
From:       Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-02-24 4:55:33

On Monday 23 February 2009 11:13:02 am Carl Symons wrote:
> Hello Promo People,
>
> Is there someone, skilled with KDE4, who could organize, exhibit or
> present on KDE 4 at LinuxFest Northwest?
>
> This is the Fest's 10th anniversary. Admission, exhibits,
> presentations are all free. In previous years, several OS notables
> have participated. Last year, Zonker Brockmeier pulled the wraps off
> of KDE 4. His presentation was well-attended, with good interest &
> difficult, insightful questions. I know that Zonker drops by the
> kde-promo list from time to time. I will also contact him directly. Is
> there someone else from NW Washington, Portland, Vancouver BC, ... who
> would take on showing off the desktop of the year? (Disclosure: I'd do
> it, but I'm one of the Fest organizers, and I've already taken on
> several other pieces of the Fest.)
>
> LinuxFest Northwest is actually two fests. It was conceived by the
> local LUG as an opportunity for civilians in local communities to
> explore the world of open source. So it's low-key, community-oriented,
> and family friendly with robotics (including roll-your-own), Scratch
> (http://scratch.mit.edu/), Sugar (from the OLPC Project), rockets,
> alternative energy.
>
> In addition, the Fest is a low-hype event for technical people. Jon
> "maddog" Hall is confirmed as a presenter. Other well-known OSers are
> planning to attend but haven't confirmed. LFNW is a way for projects
> to cut through the marketing thicket/noise machine and present or
> exhibit directly to savvy technical users.
>
> Please post to the list or contact me directly at carl@blug.org.
We just got back for a an awesome show at SCALE 7x.  Everyone there really
pulled together and we really had a good impact there.  I think we could
organize a booth to be there.  Once we all land in our respective places we
can try to organize what is next.  I really want to get our US community going
again and feed in some new developers.  I really think these regional linux
shows are exactly what the KDE project needs.

-ian reinhart geiser