List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] LinuxFest Northwest, 4/25&26, Bellingham, WA
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-23 19:13:02

Hello Promo People,

Is there someone, skilled with KDE4, who could organize, exhibit or
present on KDE 4 at LinuxFest Northwest?

This is the Fest's 10th anniversary. Admission, exhibits,
presentations are all free. In previous years, several OS notables
have participated. Last year, Zonker Brockmeier pulled the wraps off
of KDE 4. His presentation was well-attended, with good interest &
difficult, insightful questions. I know that Zonker drops by the
kde-promo list from time to time. I will also contact him directly. Is
there someone else from NW Washington, Portland, Vancouver BC, ... who
would take on showing off the desktop of the year? (Disclosure: I'd do
it, but I'm one of the Fest organizers, and I've already taken on
several other pieces of the Fest.)

LinuxFest Northwest is actually two fests. It was conceived by the
local LUG as an opportunity for civilians in local communities to
explore the world of open source. So it's low-key, community-oriented,
and family friendly with robotics (including roll-your-own), Scratch
(http://scratch.mit.edu/), Sugar (from the OLPC Project), rockets,
alternative energy.

In addition, the Fest is a low-hype event for technical people. Jon
"maddog" Hall is confirmed as a presenter. Other well-known OSers are
planning to attend but haven't confirmed. LFNW is a way for projects
to cut through the marketing thicket/noise machine and present or
exhibit directly to savvy technical users.

Please post to the list or contact me directly at carl@blug.org.

Thank you
Carl