List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] [OT] Re: kde 42 visual guide
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-04 18:00:13

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 5:40 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 03 January 2009, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > Thank you. It IS useless fluff, I trew it away. It prompted me to go
> > through the document and fix a few layout issues, titles, redundant
> > talk etc. So the end result was good. In the end I boiled it down to:
> >

> > Plasma allows you to organize your workspace however you want. It has
> > become easier to place the pannels, add and move applets around and
> > configure Plasma.
>
> too far in the other direction imho.
>
> ok, some writing tips:
>
> * short paragraphs. 4 short paragraphs are better than 1 medium sized one,
> even if the 4 short paragraphs are actually longer
>
> * don't use the same noun/verb/adjective twice in the same sentence. note that
> in the sentence above it begins ends with Plasma. perhaps replace the second
> Plasma with "your workspace"
>
> * remember the "introduce, detail, conclude" workflow
>
> * hep the reader to "buy in" by using 'us' and ownership words: "we", "our",
> "your"
>
> * avoid jargon, be consistent in what jargon we do use. in this case "applets"
> is incorrect. they aren't applets. they are widgets.
>
> * always work towards a goal: what should the reader come away from this
> thinking?
>
> that last point is probably the most important. *what* are we trying to
> achieve with this bit on plasma? probably 2 things:
>
> 1) communicate to people that it's a good time to move from other environments
> to a plasma based workspace
>
> 2) that plasma is wicked cool and that YOU WANT IT!!!1!
>
> how do we communicate that?
>
> 1) show feature parity and ease of use
>
> 2) highlight 3 key cool features that are impactful, and mention 3 others in
> passing, then hit them with a little data perhaps on "number of new features,
> bugs closed". we've been keeping a plasma changelog for a reason ;)

This is the case for the release announcement. The feature guide has,
imho, a different purpose: give much more thorough information on
what's new.

We have several kinds of target groups with our communication. The
announcement shows quickly what's new and what the highlights are.
Most users will probably be fine with that and won't need more. But I
believe some users want to know more, see what is new and has been
improved. That's what the feature guide is for.

Still, it might be too long right now, not sure how to solve that.

> 3) screenshots and screencasts
>
> i'm really, really tempted to write this whole part myself, but i'm also
> really, really feeling like this work needs to be able to done by others too.
> =)

Tnx for the comments, keep 'em coming.