List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] [OT] Re: kde 42 visual guide
From:       "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-03 17:36:48

2009/1/3 Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@gmail.com>:
> I've been thinking about a more general introduction of what's new in
> plasma, as I currently jump to the long list of "what's new" right
> away. I've just made this up, comments?
>
> Plasma provides your workspace with a flexible desktop. Plasma fully
> consists of replacable widgets, and thus allows you to organize the
> desktop however you want. The Dashboard ensures your desktop is never
> more than a quick "CONTROL+F12" away so you can have a look at the
> widgets to read or add notes, check for news or weather updates and
> use the dictionary. In KDE 4.2 Plasma has received many new features,
> stability and performance improvements. The developers have worked to
> bring back the functionality that was lost when KDE started its
> journey towards the 4.0 release and are confident to have reached that
> goal, and surpassed it in many ways. Stability has been improved, both
> by reducing crashes and greatly increasing the resilience of Plasma
> when issues do arise. Plasma monitors its state, and when bad things
> happen, responds by restarting itself with a previous, stable
> configuration. Close collaboration between core Plasma developers,
> Kwin developers and developers of infrastructure underlying to KDE has
> resulted in much better performance. There is still room for
> improvement but we feel we can safely recommend Plasma on lower-end
> (albeit not ancient) hardware. However it should be noted Plasma can
> never be expected to perform equal or better than other solutions with
> a much more limited scope and featureset.

It is a hard read, with too many redundant adjectives. An example is
the word "fully" in the second sentence. Removing it makes the
sentence easier to parse. Maybe native English speakers would have an
easier time with it, but if that were content on a web page I would
have stopped reading after the second sentence. I want facts, not
fluff.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן- -ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
 А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П- \
-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я \
 ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü