List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Writing_Guide
From:       "Wade Olson" <wade () corefunction ! com>
Date:       2009-01-03 16:37:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:

> A Dissabte 03 Gener 2009, Mark Kretschmann va escriure:
> > On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:
> > > Advocating non free software from KDE is not an option in my opinion.
> >
> > There is a huge difference between actively advocating non-free
> > software, and using it in the process of creation of free software.
> >
> > For instance some of our developers are using Apple OSX for making
> > KDE. Is that immoral?
>
> It's their time they are "losing" and they are not forcing me to use
> non-free
> software to contribute to KDE, radically different issue from forcing me to
> use Google Docs to contribute to KDE promotion.

I love you Albert, but this seems to be distorting the issue.  Jos has
consistently looked for way to be *inclusive* to get more contributors to
help him.

One option has been Google docs, discussed in this recent thread.  He has
tried many tactics and strategies to encourage others to assist him in
writing materials.  To say he or anyone is forcing anyone to use Google Docs
(or proprietary choise $a) is very misleading.  I won't speak for Jos, but
he'd probably agree to have people submit materials using a hex editor if he
thought it would help.  Jos has been bending over backwards every release to
get assistance in any form.  If anyone involved with KDE promotion ever
turns down a contribution of yours (to those that don't know: Albert is
awesome and vital to materials) because you didn't adhere to some
self-prescribed workflow or document format, I will eat my hat and buy you a
free dinner next time I see you.

Hint: I'm not currently wearing a hat.