List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] How to join the KDE promo team?
From:       "Wendy Van Craen" <wendy.vancraen () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-01-02 10:51:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi  Stephen

my comments on you draft are below:

2008/12/29 Stephen Kelly <steveire@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> In an effort to lower the barrier to entry for new and potential
> contributors to KDE, I'm making a few techbase pages to guide people in the
> process of becoming a contributor.
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Contributor_Paths
>
> I want to get help here on finding what the steps are to become a
> contributor to the promotion of KDE. What are the entry points? Where are
> the resources? What are the tasks? What is the easy stuff?
>
> My draft ideas are below
>
> ***********
>
> This page is a guide to new contributors on how to collaborate on promotion
> of KDE.
>
> ==Dive In==
> What is KDE     --- Be Free, The Answer etc. Also the recent branding stuff

Maybe a good idea to put a link to the wikipedia explanation of KDE here,
but also a very short explanation of what KDE is for the community and the
users

> Being honest about KDE4   --- Some third party apps not ported yet etc.
> Logos and images for your blog.

It would be great if we could have a promotional website where we could find
everything to promote KDE, like drafts of folders and brochures or examples
from previous events, all logo's and pictures of our masquotte
Since these may also be available on the artists website, maybe the pics
could be linked to the artists page?

> Creating a screencast

What are you talking about here?  Keynote or more commercial alike?

> Writing dot articles

This is in my personal point of view not promotion but PR, but since we do
not have a separate press-mailinglist it can be considdered as promotion as
well.  You should contact Danny Allen and Jos Poortvliet, they can be
considdered as die-hard-press-guys.

> Writing release announcements

and trying to create a buzz around it by means of other actions (Facebook,
linkedin, blog, ...)

> Managing misinformation

look for infomation on crisis management

> Manning a conference booth

Here we need detailed information.  I sometimes notice that KDE-people are
just hanging around at the booth, just to make clear "Hey I am also a
KDE-dude!"  This can be very disrupting. I am absoluty not telling that
these people shouldn't be there, on the contrary, we should take them apart
for like 15 minutes, give them a short but stunning tutorial on how to
attract people to the booth and how to give information to potential users
and contributors.  Because I think that these people just wanna help out at
the booth, but dont really know where help is needed or how.

> DIY marketing materials

you mean merchanising?  Because this is really vague to me...

> Speaking at conferences

I have a book on how to do a presentation and also followed several courses
in this.  maybe I can make a "tips and tricks" page for this?  Matthew
Rosewarn and I where talking about starting up kind of a workgroup for
giving advice and courses to those who want some help in "giving a
presentation"

> Undertanding viral marketing --- List of websites that could be hit with
> simultaneous stuff around the time of kde releases. I know I've seen stuff
> around about this.
>

> == Resources ==
> kde-promo@
> planet.kde.org