List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] idea for the answer
From:       "Big O" <illogical1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-12-08 0:52:38

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 6:01 AM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, we decided the codename for kde 4.2: the answer. Yeah, geeky, but cool :D
And at the same time not. The more I think about it the more I'm
warming to the idea (heck I actually thought of this myself a while
back). Neverthless, 4.2 != 42 as i'm sure others will have no problem
pointing out before summarily going off to mock the name/release.
Least of all because it will actually be 4.2.0 which, by your
numbering will be 420, unless you giving the whole 4.2 series a name
which just becomes confusing.
Where are these release names decided anyway, in some seedy back room
poker game. Is the challenge to come up with something so unmemorable
that people will forget it and just continue referring the version
number? I hate to be a killjoy but, whatever happened to KISS.

> We need a meme accompanying the release of KDE 4.2. Pointing to the
> answer, obviously. Something funny, like the KDE everywhere meme. But
> more geeky-compattible (kde everywhere needs you to go outside. Ugh,
> sun, fresh air...).
>
> Clearly we're talking about towels here.
>
> Plan:
> We soon start spreading the towel meme on blogs. Wade? I'm sure your
> creativity can help a lot here ;-)
> I'm thinking along the lines of "I'm going to Gran Canaria/Jamaica,
> and I'll bring..." a towel! :D
> Then we start spreading and selling actual towels with KDE logo on them
>
> It would be cool to be able to do this before the release already, but
> if that's not possible just going on should be OK ;-)
Ok, let's forget that it took me a whole minute to get that this was a
HHG in-joke. Couldn't you guys come up with something with ... wider
appeal?

P.S. no i'm not going to suggest/try to come up with anything. They'd
all be vulgar puns cuz that's how I role. e.g. Aural Pleasure for
Amarok 2.0.

--
All your gmail are belong to us.