List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Changing how we market the workspace
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-11-24 18:23:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 24 November 2008, Delphine Ménard wrote:
> There is one thing which, as know-it-none basic user, baffles me. How
> can a "point.something" be a "major" release?

it's a technical detail. a basic user should not be concerned with it other
than when required to fill in, for instance, a bug report.

> I know this is historical and makes sense in the versioning of coding
> and stuff, but I find it kind of weird that 4.2 should be so major. In
> the end, 4.0 was buggy (as I understood it, I never tried it) and the
> progress made with 4.2 and even 4.3 are/will be huge, so in the facts,
> it _is_ a major release. But the numbering does not reflect that. I
> don't think that the numbering should be marketed at all, to tell you
> the truth.

which means we need some other way to identify the releases. it makes no sense
to have a KDE 4 release announcement every 6 months if it announces the
release of the same thing.

version numbers are useful, but .. yes ... i agree that replacing them with
something less technical and more useful would make sense. there are two
obvious approaches (in addition to probably countless non-obvious ones ;):

* date; e.g. KDE4 Spring 2008 (yes, Spring for a late January release is
pushing it slightly ;) or KDE4 2008.01

* code name; Apple uses cats for this.

> It should be KDE 4 and then there are updates. Just like Firefox 3 is
> now at 3.0.4 or something. If the update is major, then, good, but
> it's still KDE 4. Or Plasma 1 or whatever :)

Firefox is not at all analogous here as they are one application that has a
fairly basic set of improvements with each release. KDE is a huge set of
applications and underlying technologies that sees fairly significant
adjustments release to release.

> I think that's one of the good things about "naming" the releases. You
> may or may not like it, but I find that Tiger and Leopard or Hardy
> Heron and Intrepid Ibex have some real advantages in their naming
> scheme, that of allowing updates to come naturally.

oh god, i hope we never adopt something as rediculous as the Ubuntu naming
system. we actually need to be taken seriously by the business community and
marching in with "Intrepid Ibex" doesn't cut it. otherwise, i'm cool with a
naming scheme for releases and leaving the version #s as a technical detail.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se