List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Changing how we market the workspace
From:       "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Delphine_M=E9nard?=" <notafishz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-24 12:02:29

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 18:49, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 October 2008, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > I don't think my idea is very different, but I still want our release
> > announcements to have a title like "KDE Community releases KDE 4.2" instead
>
> <crazy meter 3>
>
> possible titles might be:
>
> "KDE Software Distribution 4.2 Released"
> "KDE Announces Version 4.2"
> "KDE's 4.2 Software Suite Released"
>
> our KDE 3.2 title was, "KDE Project Ships New Major Release Of Leading Open
> Source Desktop Environment"
>
> the lead sentence for the 3.5 release was, "The KDE Project is happy to
> announce a new major release of the award-winning K Desktop Environment" (note
> the "KDE [..] KDE" there =)
>
> so this wouldn't be a huge departure of any sort, really.
>
> <crazy meter 7>
>
> another approach would be to break it into a set of three, with an umbrella
> sumary:
>
> "KDE Applications and Development Framework Advances with 4.2" (replace with
> actual sell point; cover top 3-5 highlights; point to other articles at end;
> emphasize benefits of integration here)
>
> "KDE Releases $DevelopmentFrameworkBrand 4.2" (sell the libraries! would be
> developer oriented)
>
> "Version 4.2 of $WorkspaceBrand Brings $SellPoint"  (cover crazy new (to the
> audience) kwin, plasma, krunner, sysguard, etc feautres; aimed at KDE desktop
> usage. no win/mac/gnome shots here.)
>
> "KDE's 4.2 Application Suites Launched Today" (cover awesome features in app;
> aimed at all computer users on all platforms.)
>
> the amount of text would be similar to what we publish now, just in bite sized
> chunks.
>
> note how Apple does this:
>
> http://www.apple.com/pr/
>
> this would also be keeping pace with our growth; perhaps we're too big to cram
> everything into one press release.
>
> <crazy meter 1>
>
> (odd factoid: we currently have the second hit on google for the term "3.2",
> third for "3.5" and fourth for "4.0". we rock.)

There is one thing which, as know-it-none basic user, baffles me. How
can a "point.something" be a "major" release?

I know this is historical and makes sense in the versioning of coding
and stuff, but I find it kind of weird that 4.2 should be so major. In
the end, 4.0 was buggy (as I understood it, I never tried it) and the
progress made with 4.2 and even 4.3 are/will be huge, so in the facts,
it _is_ a major release. But the numbering does not reflect that. I
don't think that the numbering should be marketed at all, to tell you
the truth.

It should be KDE 4 and then there are updates. Just like Firefox 3 is
now at 3.0.4 or something. If the update is major, then, good, but
it's still KDE 4. Or Plasma 1 or whatever :)

I think that's one of the good things about "naming" the releases. You
may or may not like it, but I find that Tiger and Leopard or Hardy
Heron and Intrepid Ibex have some real advantages in their naming
scheme, that of allowing updates to come naturally.

Delphine
--
~notafish