List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE on Netbooks
From:       "Lydia Pintscher" <lydia () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-11-07 13:19:56

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Mark Ziegler <mark.ziegler@rakekniven.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> two days ago I received one of this small gadgets.
> Mine is a Dell Mini 9 loaded with linux
> (http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9?c=de&l=de&s=dhs&cs=dedhs1)
>
> Picture of it:
> http://www.rakekniven.de/images/gallery4/index.php?twg_album=diverses%2Fhardware&twg_show=x&twg_foffset=0,0
>
> Due to the fact that I do not have a externel CD/DVD drive at the moment it is
> still loaded with ubuntu (not kubuntu) 8.04
> But i installed some kde apps like kontact, kopete and amarok.
>
> The device is really small, specially the keys.
> Display resolution is 1024 x 600 and thats the reason why I write this email.
> Dell did a great job and added a launcher so there is no need to get using
> menus to start your favorite app.
> When I tried to setup one imap account in kmail I recognized that dialogs are
> to big and reducing of them was not possible. Pressing "OK" was only possible
> with known shortcuts.
> Is started apps on my other laptop to get the shortcuts and captions.
>
> The Netbook market is growing fast. Nearly every manufacturer is building
> them.
> Are there thoughts of having KDE ready for them? The small screens are really
> a challenge for the user to use some apps.
> Most gnome apps are usable on it.
>
> Are you using netbooks already?
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I am using KDE 4.1.3 on my EeePC 701 (using Kubuntu). It works pretty
well with a few tweaks like moving the taskbar to the left side of the
screen instead of having it at the bottom.
I did some extensive test with Amarok on it and got a few things that
definitely didn't work fixed. For Amarok we are planning to do the
Amarok Mobile Companion soonish which is specifically designed for
small devices.

So if you have dialogues, default settings and so on that simply don't
work on small devices like netbooks please report bugs. Include
screenshots. A lot of developers don't own one of those devices or if
they do they don't always use it long enough to be annoyed by those
things.

That being said I am already very very happy with KDE 4 on my EeePC
which I use a lot at university and when I travel.

Cheers
Lydia

--
Lydia Pintscher