List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Promotion of kde 4.2
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-10-19 2:42:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 17 October 2008, Inge Wallin wrote:
> So what would you want to have me promote?

in Plasma, i think the big things are configuration, polish and variety of
widgets / runners / etc.

the panel and desktop configuration are both rather complete at this point; the
theming and overall consistency are quite good; and we have tons of new
widgets and other tidbits making it in for 4.2.

scripting is finally a good reality as well, with Python, JavaSript and
HTML/CSS all maturing ... our support of Google Gadgets and E17 content as
well as improved MacOS X Dashboard widget support are all cool as well.

being able to switch your Activity easily in the config is nice; the integrated
notifications and extenders are also really great to point out.

> Can the case be made that 4.2 is finally on feature par with 3.5?

i agree with Sebastian on this point; get people looking at what is there
right now and they'll come to the conclusions themseves.

> I will try to say that 4.0 was for develoeprs, 4.1 for early adopters and
> now 4.2 for the masses.

i honestly think we should stop bringing this up. let it fade into the past
and just present what is there. people can figure it out for themselves. the
more often we bring it up at this point, the longer it will linger even when
not pertinent.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se