List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE OS
From:       "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-23 8:26:48

2008/8/21 Harald Sitter <sitter.harald@gmail.com>:
> Once upon a time on IRC....
>
> <ruphy> apachelogger: would you like to help to create a KDE live CD based on
> kubuntu to show off at events?
> <apachelogger> isn't kubuntu already KDE based? ;-)
> <ruphy> apachelogger: I mean, something updated with trunk (neon packages?)
> and really KDE branded
> <apachelogger> using trunk makes sense I guess
> <ruphy> I can provide the artwork, starting for example from the splashscreen
> <ruphy> a cd specifically for kde
> <ruphy> its main purpose I guess would be for promo
> <ruphy> only live should be ok
> <ruphy> and really really KDE centric, and KDE branded
> <ruphy> the point of reference for other people, a CD that we can point at if
> people want to try KDE
> <apachelogger> well, I am of course available to help :)
> <ruphy> so, let's call it KDE OS
>
> Whether a KDE reference distribution makes sense or not is probably a matter
> of opinion (I, as supporter of KDE as source-only distributor, think it
> doesn't make that much sense :P) but...
>
> For events it makes tons of sense. Somewhere in the inwards of SVN we once
> have created a tarball with a ready-to-go home directory (including PIM data
> for example), though I think it never got used that much.
> A special CD for the booth personnel, to roll a complete system including
> example data (pictures, videos, music etc.) and configurations with KDE
> branding could
> a) make our booth appearance way more coherent
> b) reduce work for the staff in matters of pre-event and post-event changes to
> the system
> c) provide the best example of what can be done with the most recent KDE
>
> Opinions? Suggestions? Volunteers?

Foresight is pretty much a Gnome reference distro, and they have a KDE
version. Maybe take a look at that?

I am completely against the idea of starting yet _another_ Linux
distribution. Rather, I would suggest that we take a current stable
distribution with excellent hardware support, and replace whatever DM
they have with the current production KDE stable.

I already do have a ready-made /home/user tarball that I use to
bugtest Linux distros / KDE builds. It has pdf, doc, xls, odt, ods
files, many photographs and a digikam3 database, mbox email, mp3
files, Firefox bookmarks, Kaddressbook contacts, Korganizer calendar,
and some other stuff. Most of the data is in Hebrew (because that is
important for me to check), otherwise I would simply offer the tarball
(minus mp3 files) for download for testing.

Maybe when I finish this semester's exams I will compile an
English-language version and make it available. I will create new
non-copyrighted mp3 files for testing as well to ensure that I could
GPL it.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן- -ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü