List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE OS
From:       Torsten Rahn <Torsten.Rahn () basyskom ! de>
Date:       2008-08-21 19:58:30

> Hmmm.... I don't really see why!
> I mean, after all, we're not creating another distro to give to people to
> say "hey, this is the absolute KDE experience, don't use kubuntu or
> mandriva or fedora, use our ReallyGreat version", but we're creating here
> an ad-hoc live cd to show around at events, a distribution that we have
> full control on (look, branding, ...), and which will be for demo purposes
> only.

There is nothing wrong with having a custom KDE Live CD for events. You can
have that already just by using the OpenSUSE build service and creating your
own KDE packages e.g.. However I'm also a strong opponent of the idea to have
an official "reference distribution".

> To demo it at events, and, for the same reason, it should be also pointed
> to be the 'official KDE distribution' at reviewers, so that we don't look
> bad because of some distributor choices or packaging errors.

And that last sentence is where things are going to be dangerous: once you
consider it as an "official KDE distribution" and advertise it so

- other people will want to have it
- you got to care about the subsystem (and you have no kernel hackers or
similar people ...)
-  how do you ensure that it will run decently on all kind of hardware, so
that you can safely "ensure" that it will work as it has been "intended" by
the KDE hackers? - and hence provide the "reference" you are after?
- and a can of worms of problems you don't want to think of.

> I already heard quite some people complaining of the KDE look because they
> tried KDE 4 on opensuse and were simply horrified by the Ozone
> windecoration (and some other style choices).

Yes, I also share your dislike for SUSE's attempts to make KDE 4.1 look like
KDE 3.8. But the suggested "KDE OS" wouldn't solve that problem.

> problems. And they make us look really bad and crashy.

I believe that instead of a KDE OS we need better communication with packagers
and better Quality Assurance for packages.
Ideally we'd have a QA squad team that would do some basic manual checks from
a standardized list of test tasks (like ensuring that starting applications
will actually turn up a window for every application .... ).

Regards,

Torsten