List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] bad mood in german kde usenet group
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-08-03 9:36:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

<mark.ziegler@rakekniven.de> wrote:
> > How can I transfer my PIM data (config, content) to 4.1 was another
> > most wanted answer?
> > I wanna know it too :-)
>
> There's a tool on kde-apps helping with this. I agree this is
> something not working properly in all apps. Ideally, it should 'just
> work', after all, there is an config upgrade system in KDE (KConfig
> or whatever it's called). But some app dev's seem not to know about
> this, so it doesn't always work.

I can assure you that the KDE PIM developers definitely know about this.
At least with KMail we have been changing the configuration with every
minor release. :-)

Anyway, kconf_update only works with existing configuration files. If
the old KDE 3 settings live in ~/.kde and the new KDE 4 settings live
in ~/.kde4 then it is impossible for kconf_update to do its work
because it knows nothing about the old settings in ~/.kde. I guess the
distributors have made provisions for copying ~/.kde to ~/.kde4 (or did
KDE already make those provisions?), but maybe they've missed
something.

Or maybe the old settings were not copied because the users did already
try KDE 4.0, so that the old settings were copied a long time ago
already.

I've yet to make the upgrade from KDE 3 to KDE 4.1. I'll keep an eye on
this issue since it will obviously affect myself.

Regards,
Ingo