List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Videos and screenshots of KDE 4.1
From:       "Wade Olson" <wade () corefunction ! com>
Date:       2008-07-21 19:42:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Sebastian K=FCgler <sebas@kde.org> wrote:

> On Monday 21 July 2008 20:46:10 Wade Olson wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Alexandra Leisse <
> alexandra@untangled.biz>

> ogv
> about
> > > that.
> > >
> > > The one I looked at was clear enough to get the point. IMO YouTube is
> > > quite a usable way to publish videos: no way to fail and easy to
> > > spread, blog, digg...
>
> The problem with youtube is that it requires non-free and it's a non-free
> format. I agree that it's easiest to work with, especially for our
> audience,
> so we should offer that as an alternative. Having the videos there in ogg
> theora is a must IMO though (to support fully free software viewing).
>
> I'm trying not to be the party pooper here, but we'd not be the first one=
> be bitten by this.

Well, it's not a mutually exclusive decision.  If we centralize videos into
google videos or youtube, that same pool of videos can and should be in a
free format like ogg.  If we get a pool of people (like those thankfully
active on this thread), it would hopefully be not more than a last step to
the video deployment process.  Upload video in format 1 here, upload video
in format 2 here.

Back a while, Joe Gaffney wrote up a document on best practices for
audio/video generation.  As long as we have the source, we'd be able to mov=
into h264 for HD presentation, ogg storage for free downloading, .avi or
.mpg or whatever for youtube/google videos.

To conclude: I don't think that a singular youtube/google video account wil=
act as a sole repository/archival, but that shouldn't stop us with being
more professional and unified on that front.  Maybe an svn location or
spread.kde storage with the raw/original format, and then re-encoding based
on need?

Franz should also wake up and give commentary here.