List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] slashdot & groklaw
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-07-14 0:59:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 12 July 2008, Big O wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago@kde.org> wrote:
> > When Apple launched MacOS X 10.0, it was hailed as innovative, a
> > foundation for a great future. And we've seen it has come to fruition in
> > exactly those aspects. But it was also severely limited and badmouthed.
>
> Yes it was badmouthed and rightly so.

and yet history proved them wrong. so was it "rightly so" or just "in response
to limited vision"?

honestly, my greatest concern here is that f/oss projects will be trained not
to do anything remarkable because the risk is too great.

> And when people pointed out the
> defieciencies, instead of getting an apology and a "but hey, we're
> going to do better" they got more spin.

we had nothing to apologize for: it was the best decision available.

we did not offer spin, just our honest perspective and reasons.

> Regardless of your answer for that, people aren't just angry, they're
> hurt.

something to sort out indeed, mostly on the part of those who were "hurt".
being hurt over a software release is really astounding on the one hand, and
given the advisories we put out very avoidable.

i'd personally be happy if those who can't take the heat got out of the
kitchen and let the rest of us get on with the business of creating software.
they can wait to be served by the distros when things are ready for them.

> Each time they here that the reason 4.0 was released was a) for
> developers and and the same time b) to get wider testing they feel
> used.

used? nobody forces anyone to use it, we needed to release it so that our
testers who rely on binary packages can start and app devs, well, need that
lead time.

there was no usery.

if you, or anyone, feels used i suggest taking a reality check and asking how
you go from "being given a gift of software that you aren't required to accept
that is wrapped in appropriate warnings" to "being used".

there is a point where our responsibility as a project ends, and the
responsibility of those external to the project begins.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se