List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] focussing promo on ... ?
From:       "Wendy Van Craen" <wendy.vancraen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-13 9:15:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello hello

I actually have some brilliant (as I say myself) ideas ;-)

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:

> hi all..
>
> i've been thinking quietly to myself for a little while now. i've started
> draft emails a few times and never reached a successful conclusion that
> felt
> like it was well formed. so here i go again ;)
>
> the lead up to 4.0 was pretty huge and a lot of people put a lot of energy
> into a lot of things (that's a lot of "lot"s). it had great impact.
>
> but now we're past the Big Band of a dot-oh release and perhaps now it's
> time
> to focus on small but repeatable efforts that can build upon themselves.
>
> here are two suggestions i have, and while i have a lot of ideas on
> details, i
> think it's probably better to just throw the two broad points out there
> and
> see where it goes (even if that ends up being in another set of directions
> altogether =):
>
> * Be Free: let's come up with a set of media (designs for stickers, web
> banners, email taglines, desktop wall papers, conference presentations ...
> more ambitious things?) that gets behind this idea-slogan so we can start
> marching forward on promoting this concept

Since I am CRAZY about thne process of creating/developing merchandising
(You shall see on Akademy08, the merch is superb!), I feel a natural urge to
help on the merchandising site of 4.x.

I already have some great contacts with a textile printing company, who can
actually make anything you wich.  They are the biggest of Belgium and one of
the leading in Europe and also they work together with big fashion companies
and other businesses.  And they are always willing to give us a very good
price.

For the 4.2 release I already informed for making bad-towels (hitch hikers
guide to the galaxy),   the logo and text would we thrummed into the towel.
Good news the weaving all happens in a famous Belgian towel factory.

More ambitious things will absolutely follow.

I also have some good contact with a school that might want to set up a
press campaign for Akademy08, though this is not yet official and still
needs to be discussed with the school. Maybe they could do thesame for 4.x
Students and schools love to do real-life campaigns, but schools always have
a lack on it.  Also this could be a nice direction towards an introduction
of KDE in schools...

Things that always work (in Belgium anyway) is give away cool free goodies
(live DVD, stickers, ...) and on big events (like CeBit) let some beautiful
dressed up promo girls hand them out (I am sure the promo teams has enough
beautiful women ;-)

Or hand out leaflets with invitation to KDE Booth to "get your present on
the KDE booth" = lure ppl to booth, make them users, give them their present
(live DVD ...) (wow if it were simple like that...)

> * Start highlighting more of the complete KDE4 experience: the development
> platform, the various self-branding communities (edu, games, office,
> media),
> etc... in our announcements. i'd be personally rather saddened if 4.0.3was
> released announcing plasma advancements. ;)

Maybe a nice idea: Some T-shirts with a small plastic square on it, with
K-logo.  Behind the plastic a light blue fluid.

> so .. Be Free and The Complete KDE.
>
> imho neither take master strokes of months of effort. we can employ the
> "death
> by a thousand cuts" approach now and just keep laying one inch of success
> upon another until we have a mountain to stand upon.
>
> i'm particularly stoked about the idea of a comprehensive Be Free
> campaign.

Simple things like: first web-page when googling "Free, Freedom, ..."  And
if we would get google to give us this extra publicity as exchange-deal...

> i'm also really happy that there is movement on some of the websites, e.g.
> multimedia.kde.org, which is the effort (as i understand it, anyways) of
> mostly one person in consult with kde media hackers.
>
> anyways .. there's my rambling thoughts for "now we're into 4.x land"
> promo.
>
> (and i'd like to tip my hat to those who did the 4.0.x release
> announcements
> as well as translated it, to Danny for keeping the commit digest rolling
> and
> to everyone who's attended a conference in the name of KDE recently such
> as
> CEBIT .. rock on =)
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo