List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE4 Daily Virtual Image
From:       pinheiro <nuno () oxygen-icons ! org>
Date:       2007-11-12 9:59:11

A Monday 12 November 2007 09:15:59, Simon St James escreveu:
> Hi all,
>
> Okey-doke, KDE4Daily 0.0.1 went live on Saturday and, after a lot of false
> starts, a torrent was finally set up.  Unfortunately, despite being plugged
> on the UbuntuForums (which are pretty high traffic), only a tiny handful of
> people have downloaded it and, if my server logs are accurate, only one
> person tried the updater (many thanks to the people who stayed on to see,
> by the way - it was a huge help with my puny bandwidth!).  I guess it
> probably didn't help that my hosting provider chose this moment to have
> several hours of downtime, either, but this is still a little
> disheartening.
>
> So it looks like I greatly over-estimated the interest in the project and,
> if it's to receive any real testing at all, it will have to be publicised
> rather more widely.  Jos and Aaron have both suggested the Dot - it might
> be worth trying, as Jos originally suggested, tagging it on the end of the
> next Beta release announcement.  Would this be a possibility, still, and is
> anyone willing to look into it? Some (very) raw information about the
> project is available at

Dude I realy apreciate that as a guy that is working on kde 4 but have 0
coding skils or simply dosent have time to waste learning how to get kde 4
working on my mandriva box, any methot i get to test kde4 is extremly
valuable.
So major thanks its working here.... :)
dough i think some kind of daylly build over vnc so people like me could test
the thing would be simpler and a good service kde would provide to
(developers) like me
> http://etotheipiplusone.com/kde4daily/docs/kde4daily.html
>
> On the plus side, generating stack traces now seems to be mostly solved -
> this time last week, the preparation scripts would generate 100's of MB of
> additional debugging info *per day*, whereas now (thanks to the miracles of
> bsdiff and bspatch) this is down to 10 - 20MB.  I provided an update to
> r735203 with fulling debugging capability and tried it out today, and the
> debugging info autofetch/ prepare worked perfectly (albeit very, very
> slowly), generating rich sample backtraces like this one:
>
> http://etotheipiplusone.com/kde4daily/docs/konqueror-backtrace-sample.txt
>
> so for people will plenty of RAM, the "aid to testing and debugging" aspect
> of the project looks to be a success - hooray!
>
> I'm going to spend today fully automating the build/ deployment process of
> the updates, hopefully making the generation of new, daily updates as
> simple as "Click'n'wait for several hours :)".
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

core oxygen icon designer