List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Beta 2 announcement
From:       "Wade Olson" <wade () corefunction ! com>
Date:       2007-09-03 23:56:10

On 9/3/07, Steve Tose <stevetose@gmail.com> wrote:
> INFO PAGE
> Question: codename is really "Duth"? Just checking...

Yeah, as Gaffney pointed out, the title could either have no
punctuation, a semi-colon, colon, or comma for:

 KDE Project Ships Second Beta Release for Leading Free Software
Desktop, Codename "Duth"

Also, please remember to change the date to be accurate.

> Also, before I get started I'd like to point out that it seems like
> you switch between American and English spellings using
> 'visualisation', but then 'stabilize'. Either is correct and I felt I
> was nitpicking as either s or z is fine. I didn't change this in the
> text.
> I used !!!<>!!! around corrections hoping this would improve their visibility.
> "...
> Architectural
>
> Long time KDE developer Daniel M. Duley (aka. Mosfet) joined us again.
> He developed Blitz, a graphics !!!<LIBRARIES>!!! designed to fill the
> gap for the KDE libraries !!!<WHILE>!!! we wait for Zack Russin's
> Quasar. He introduced himself and his work (again) in this Commit
> Digest. And it is not just Blitz which is on his mind, he is working
> hard to introduce some great performing yet easy to use graphical
> tricks for the KDE developers.

Do we have a link to Quasar?

> Another basic component of the KDE libraries also received some
> attention. Mickael Marchand !!!<SPENT>!!! some time on Kconfig, the
> Configuration system for KDE. When committed, his work will make it
> possible to support several backends for the KDE configuration,
> including SQL.
>
> Meanwhile, several developers threw themselves at the better support
> for BSD and Sun in KDE!!!<PERIOD>!!! Strigi now has XSESAM support and
> Marcus continued to work on the Avogadro 3D molecule visualisation
> library and !!!<ITS>!!! integration in Kalzium. Chemical data is in
> good hands on the KDE desktop these days, seeing how !!!<STRIGI
> ALSO>!!! received support for chemical files.
>
> Sebastian Pipping !!!<SPENT>!!! a lot of time on Kate, KDE's advanced
> text editor (or lightweight Development Environment). He improved the
> way search works in Kate, both making it more powerfull and easier to
> use. Now the component used in Kate to edit text happens to be used
> throughout KDE for pretty much every text input widget you see, thus
> applications like Kwrite but also Konqueror will profit from this!
> Applications
>
> The applications got a lot of love. For example, Kolourpaint got many
> features merged. Not only usability work and new effects but the
> application got a lot more robust. Better handling of text, improved
> scanning support and session management are just a few things that
> have been improved in this easy to use image editor. Our old and
> trusted KGPG got some love, in the usability area but also concerning
> features. And Okular received further usability work. Amarok saw
> integration with plasma, where plasma will provide the infrastructure
> for the now much more central Context View. Imagine the ability to
> drag'n'drop items from the context view on the desktop or !!!<TO AND
> FROM>!!! the panels on the side of the screen !!!<REMOVED 'AND
> BACK'>!!!

"Got some love" being used to liberally throughout?  Is this a Seigo
Slumber Party? (tm)

> Summer of Code
>
> A big, visible bulk of application and infrastructural work was added
> to KDE when the Google Summer of Code students added their work. We
> will go through some of these additions, but if you want to read more
> we !!!<RECOMMEND>!!! the dot article about the KOffice SoC results and
> the excellent interview series with Summer of Code students on People
> Behind KDE, starting here.
> Urs Wolfer's work on KRDC, the KDE Remote Desktop Client is finished
> as well. Making use of libraries ensures the application's
> maintainability in the long run. Coupled with new features like a
> tabbed interface and much improved configuration, users can count on a
> greatly improved remote desktop experience in KDE 4.0 !!!<SUGGEST 2
> DASHES>!!! and beyond, as Urs is comitted to continue working on it!
> Juan González Aguilera also !!!<SPENT>!!! time !!!<REMOVED 'ON'>!!!
> getting some older tools freshened up, !!!<FOCUSING>!!! on Bluetooth
> support in KDE.
> The KDE education project received much work, not the least on
> Marble. It alone had three Summer of Code projects, with Andrew Manson
> working on GPS support, Carlos Licea on 2D projection and Murad
> Tagirov busy with KML support. But there has also been exciting work
> on step by Vladimir Kuznetsov and on Kalzium by Marcus Hanwell. You
> can check out find some !!!<VIDEOS>!!! if you want.
> Next up
>
> The following months will see fanatical work !!!<STABILIZING>!!! the
> KDE applications and libraries, and the finishing touch on the
> components not yet frozen. Two further !!!<BETAS>!!! are planned,
> after which KDE will be frozen for a release candidate cycle ending in
> a release planned around Christmas at the end of the year.
> KOffice Releases Third Alpha
>
> Along with KDE 4.0 Beta 1, KOffice releases its third alpha version.
> This version is released as a technology preview to let the public
> catch a gleam of what is coming in KOffice version 2.0. It does not
> have the same level of maturity as the rest of KDE 4.0 Beta 1. The
> infrastructural changes are enormous. KOffice version 2 series will
> take full advantage of the improved Qt 4, giving it new features like
> text directionality and !!!<AN IMPROVED LAYOUT>!!!
> ..."
> Anyway, hope these suggestions help. I am sometimes particular about
> wording in cases where it is only a personal choice. I tried to avoid
> this and only make helpful corrections. Nice job on your work, and
> thanks for noting (no pun intended) music notation in flake! I am off
> to learn more as that is very exciting.

Agreed, thanks for the work on this notice Jos.