List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] discover.kde.org got a lifting
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jos () mijnkamer ! nl>
Date:       2007-08-25 15:43:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

On 8/25/07, Sebastian Kügler <sebas@kde.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 25 August 2007 11:53:59 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > I run into a small merging problem, and I thought I ask for input.
> >
> > there is discover.creativity, which now has the following text:
>
> Where is this section, I cannot finding not even with grep -Ri?

Third thing in the txt file...

> Discovery involves joy, wonder, and excitement. We aim to let KDE users
> > experience this during their daily use of a computer! KDE provides many
> > ways for you to �rediscover� the fun in life. Amarok will help you
> > rediscover your music by recommending new music or creating a playlist
> for
> > you thanks to it's last.fm integration. Professional and amateur artists
> > rediscover the joy of painting with Krita's powerfull, realistic color
> > mixer and great tablet support. Have fun with your digital photos with
> > Digikam, retouching, indexing and viewing them. Rediscover your
> > entertainment system through LinuxMCE with features such as starting a
> > movie in one room and finishing it in another. Imagine what else you'll
> > experience while exploring the creative side of KDE!
> >
> > then there is be_entertained.
> > - Amarok
> > - $videoplayer
> > - digikam etc
> > - games: kwin4,
> > Amarok is the music player for Linux and Unix with an intuitive
> interface.
> > Amarok makes playing the music you love easier than ever before - and
> looks
> > good doing it.
> > [screencast: listening to an mp3, with metainfo (lyrics, cover, artist),
> > automatic playlist feature]
> >

> > there is a lot of overlap, the biggest diff is that creativity includes
> > krita stuff and entertainmet doesn't, while entertainment has games and
> > creativity doesn't.
>
> This looks right to me, krita is productivity (not creativity, I suppose
> you
> mean this?), games definitely aren't.

I meant krita as creativity. Of course, it's both productivity AND
creativity... anyway, it doesn't matter.

I think we still are working towards different goals. Do you want to write
application centric, telling about applications in sections, like the data
in backup is now? Or do you agree with the earlier discussed idea to go
'keynote style', and talk about a topic like creativity and merely mention
the applications as examples? because THAT'S what I'm doing, as everyone at
that time agreed with that. I guess you didn't read it, or didn't agree and
I didn't get that, or I wasn't clear enough?

In keynote style, it doesn't matter "what category an application is". If we
talk about each app individually, you get way to much text, thus scrollbars,
which we don't want. Thats why I proposed they keynote thing. Before I work
any further, I think I'd love to hear a consensus on this, as this is
wasting time...

So, do we go for short, non-scrolling, keynote-style and more
touchy-feely-categorized things like creativity, friends, freedom, or do we
go for a longer list of 'look this are our applications in each category,
with screenshots and little movies, see what we can do'.

> How to solve this? Adding the games somewhere in the other categories.
> > education? can also be put in creativity or in friends:
> > "And if you're bored, we have many cool games you can play, even with
> your
> > friends over the internet!" (discover.creativity)
> > "KDE also offers many games you can play over the network with your
> > friends" (discover.friends)
> >

> > Or put it in both. For now I've put it in creativity:
>
> Hm, I think you're confused between creativity and producticity. Let me
> explain:
>
> - Productivity is office work and such (things you would call work-work)
> - entertainment is home user stuff, multimedia and games leisure-time
> stuff
>   mostly

I know, duh. We just hadn't agreed on what I mentioned above. That's why I
and nathan and piere worked in different categories - not be_entertained and
be_productive but creativity and friends. Different concepts, different
angle. We should decide on the direction first (and I thought we did).

> Discovery involves joy, wonder, and excitement. We aim to let KDE users
> > experience this during their daily use of a computer! KDE provides many
> > ways for you to �rediscover� the fun in life. Amarok will help you
> > rediscover your music by recommending new music or creating a playlist
> for
> > you thanks to it's last.fm integration. Professional and amateur artists
> > rediscover the joy of painting with Krita's powerfull, realistic color
> > mixer and great tablet support. Have fun with your digital photos with
> > Digikam, retouching, indexing and viewing them. Rediscover your
> > entertainment system through LinuxMCE with features such as starting a
> > movie in one room and finishing it in another. And if you're bored, we
> have
> > many cool games you can play, even with your friends over the internet!
> > Imagine what else you'll experience while exploring the creative side of
> > KDE!
>
> We can't mention LinuxMCE right now, it'll not be part of 4.0. And of
> course
> we surely shouldn't duplicate texts. That said: I can't find those bits in
> the current site.
> Here's the catch with the content: We should build the text upon
> previously
> defined messages (see README.txt for that), that's why there's so many
> hints
> in those documents, it's been created with an overview and general concept
> so
> we can fill in those bits.

Point is that we (as I thought) decided on going not the application-centric
way but more key-noty.

> Sounded natural to me.
>
> Well, no :-)
>
> I'm reading through the content thread started by Nathan now and think how
> integrate that in what's currently there.
>
> In the meantime:
>
> - Don't commit *anything* to Backup/
> - Check out http://discover.kde.org/Backup/ for the current text and icons
>   (I've already copied it to /content/ but it's not visible yet
> - Make sure you svn up often enough so we don't get commit clashes

I don't commit anything. I use websvn to see what you did. Thought backup
wouldn't change anymore (checked out a few hours ago).