List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] the next step?
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2007-08-24 8:50:57

Steve Tose wrote:
 > I could write many how-to's. Most would be easy, at least compared to
 > recording a song. I could be half an editor, but a tech editor would
 > be needed to keep inaccurate info from spreading. I'm pretty weak on
 > services and daemons, etc.
 >
 > userbase sounds cool. As soon as I typed howto.kde.org it bothered me
 > that kde wasn't a verb. (is it? Kill Daemons Easily (Ctrl-Alt-Esc...))
 > Actually I think I'll go register killdaemonseasily.org will eV mind?

I actually prefer "how to" (n.b. NOT howto, HOWTO, etc.) because it's
more descriptive, as in "I want to know how to set-up a music studio",
rather than "I'm a user - give me a base!" It's a shame discover is
taken, actually.

Anyway, I think this is all potentially great. I remember writing a few
"cool KDE tricks" articles years ago with a friend because we realised
how many people wouldn't know (for example) how to use the fish/ftp/sftp
kioslaves directly from kwrite/kate when editing a web site. But I think
we're now at a point where we can start from "you're a web developer,
here's how to get the most out of KDE" rather than "hey, look at this
nifty underlying technology!"

If two or three people could form an editorial team then they could also
pick out an article of the week to go into the plasmoid, on the dot,
etc. If licensed liberally and with high quality illustrations we could
also see (paper & online) magazines picking them up.

Kind regards,
Tom