List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] the next step?
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jos () mijnkamer ! nl>
Date:       2007-08-23 11:19:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 8/23/07, Jos Poortvliet <jos@mijnkamer.nl> wrote:

> On 8/23/07, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > hi all...
> >
> > we're all neck deep in kde 4.0 thoughts. i'd like to put out a small
> > thought
> > for the post-4.0 world. something to just tuck away in the back our
> > minds to
> > let the sub-conscious, sub-whatever chew on for the next several months.
> >

> >         practical communication will turn curiosity into loyalty.
>

> Boy-oh-boy, are you being a thought leader again ;-)
>
> what i mean by this is once 4.0 is out the door, it would be great to have
> > torrent of practical "how to do X with KDE" articles that show off the
> > cool
> > things one can do when logged in to KDE4. we will (and have) induced a
> > large
> > amount of curiosity and hopefulness around kde4. next will be to
> > capatilized
> > on it.
> >
> > personally, i'll be concentrating on practical communication via
> > techbase. i
> > think that is where my skill set can be best applied in this vein, and
> > will
> > be holding weekly techbase writing days on irc to help move it forward.
> > but
> > we will also want communication for users and deployers though, too.
> >
> > imagine if once every week or two people could find a neat new "how to"
> > article that they could apply directly to their kde experience. imagine
> > if
> > there were a couple of different channels one could subscribe to (rss?
> > get information relevant to their interests (e.g. sys admin vs edu vs "i
> > like
> > facebook" users). imagine if this was delivered to their desktop in a
> > cute
> > little plasmoid ticker.
> >
> > i know people who'd love to get a "how to make address labels" or "how
> > to buy
> > music on line" or "how to lock down $APP's features" or "how to use
> > $PERIPHERAL with kde apps" article. this is a different kind of promo
> > muscle
> > than we've been flexing this last year+, but i think it's also a much
> > easier
> > and more natural one.
>

> Sounds smart, yes. And 4.0 isn't THAT far ahead, so it might need setting
> up soon. I'm a bit too busy on both work and other KDE stuff, but I'm sure I
> will be able to help with content a little.
>
> this is nothing to get all worked up about now, but i think it's useful to
> > have some inkling about where we want to head longer term than january.
> > this
> > was one of the things i've thought about during the past few days and
> > thought
> > i'd share it with you all. maybe in february you'll have some brilliant
> > concepts ready to run with =)
>

> Your brilliance enlightens us all ;-)

Boy, that was a bit too much, wasn't it? I mean, I don't usually kiss ass
that much... ehem. Well, what I tried to say was actually not even all THAT
positive (not too ironic, too, btw) - it's a good idea, but hey, are you
trying to give us some actual long-term vision here? We're marketing dudes,
we follow (and create) the hype of the day... :D