List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Use of Windows and Apple logo
From:       "Joseph M. Gaffney" <cucullin () wtfisthat ! net>
Date:       2007-08-06 14:26:47

Actual legal knowledge aside, according to:

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/intellectualproperty/trademarks/logo/pr
ograms.mspx

"Microsoft logos may be used by third parties only under a license or
written guidelines from Microsoft Corporation. Several logo programs are
available. This page contains information about each program, including
program contacts and Web sites."

And Apple:

http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html

"1. Advertising, Promotional, and Sales Materials: Only Apple and its
authorized resellers and licensees may use the Apple Logo in advertising,
promotional, and sales materials. "

It may be a worthy idea to ask the SFLC, for IANAL.  However, pending an
answer from them, I would say avoiding their logos is a good idea (legally).

-Joe

Joseph M. Gaffney
Consultant
Shen Milsom & Wilke