List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] renewal of spreadkde.org
From:       "Chris Messina" <chris.messina () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-06-10 16:21:51

On 6/10/07, Sebastian Kügler <sebas@kde.org> wrote:

> > I did call GoDaddy today and Gianluca is correct -- the domains are
> > now in an odd deadpool period where we can try to reclaim them at
> > $80/each. If you're willing to cover this cost and the cost of
> > renewal, I'll go forward with attempting to get them back (according
> > to GoDaddy support this process isn't guaranteed) and will then
> > transfer the domains to you.
>
> That would be awesome, the KDE e.V. will cover the cost of re-registering and
> transferring it. An indication of the costs would be welcome of course.

I'll make the call today and get the process started. For the three
domains we're looking at at least $240 for reclamation + whatever the
registration costs are.

> But telling a
> team of contributors for more than 6 weeks to just hold of their work until a
> domain is up again, and then you can't give any real information about what's
> going on -- that just doesn't work. The way we usually deal with
> contributions being voluntary and all is to make clear that if you're task is
> blocking you really have to be honest and realistic on the timeframe you can
> deliver it. Of course this didn't work in the situation at hand.

I had no indication of the importance or timeliness of the domain to
your work, as this was not clearly expressed to me. As far as I knew,
I had the domain for two long years without hearing a PEEP from anyone
from KDE and the moment the domains expire, I get the email from you
asking for them... either your timing is odd or you were acting a bit
"opportunistic". Given that I'd not heard from anyone, I certainly
didn't have the same sense of of priority that you did for
transferring the domains; what's a month or two when you've let 24
months pass?

Anyway, I know understand the situation and can act accordingly. A
clearer expression of the situation earlier would have possibly
avoided the delay.

> Let me also express that I hope that this rather unfortunate situation doesn't
> leave any bad blood. The KDE community values your contribution irrespective
> of the unfortunate chain of events during the last weeks.

No bad blood, just inadequate communication. I still support KDE and
want to see Spread KDE succeed. In fact, if you have any questions
about my work on Spread Firefox, I'd be more than happy to pass on
some tips, just as I had intended when the original SpreadKDE project
was dreamed up over two years ago by Tom Chance and Corey Shields.

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Citizen Provocateur &