List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] s/project/community
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-05-12 19:56:25

On Saturday 12 May 2007 16:09, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> On Saturday 12 May 2007 11:32:32 jos@mijnkamer.nl wrote:
> > "The KDE project released ..."
> > You can say "The KDE communit released ...", right?
>
> No. In this case I'd say it's the Project. Seriously, there's another big
> difference between those: A community doesn't necessarily have a
> responsibility apart from a social one.
> On the other hand if I hear about a project releasing something then I
> expect at least a somewhat hierarchical structure behind with points of
> contacts and single people who are responsible for certain tasks.
>
> So from the point of view of someone outside having a great community may
> be impressive to look at. But if you want to communicate with it then a
> "project" is certainly more appealing (unless you like the feeling of
> talking to a swarm of bees).

I thought about this as well, as it felt as somewhat too soft to say "the
community released" at first. But if you think about it again you can find a
tremendous strength in this statement, because for KDE the community is in
fact in charge of basically every aspect of what we do. We don't have
benevolent dictators, steering committees, or companies controlling the
development. We are special, because we are still able to create software of
highest quality, or maybe just because of that.

So saying that the community releases KDE puts the focus on this strength and
the heart of what KDE is about. Maybe we have to change people's perception a
bit, so that the message reaches everybody, but in this case I think we have
the potential to do so. It's so perfectly in line with our mission, our
passion and what makes KDE effective, that saying anything else than that the
community releases KDE, would mean wasting momentum and letting go a
tremendous opportunity.

Well, and communicating with the community is pretty easy these days. We have
contributors in different well-defined roles, we have maintainers, various
special teams and working groups, we have the e.V. as representing
organization, etc. We all take personal responsibility for what we do,
because we do it as a community and not as assigned members of a project.

I think we can be really proud of our community and how we work. We don't have
to imitate something we speculate to be possibly more appealing.