List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Slogan for t-shirts
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten.rahn () credativ ! de>
Date:       2007-05-02 20:50:05

On Wednesday 02 May 2007 19:23:18 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > So it's only a partial solution, not the real thing?
> > same opinion here, it sounds as if KDE is only half ready.
> Of course not. It might sounds unreasonable, but we do not have the answer
> to all the problems. It actually is pun at: "You're either part of the
> problem or part of the solution."

I think that unless they are really well known and well understood
internationally (not to talk about translatable) puns are probably as bad to
use for marketing as for icons.

I believe that most of our target users neither have heard nor do care about
philosophical concepts such as "digital divide" or puns like the one above.
Most people are however intelligent enough to be able to judge which of these
is superior:

"It's the solution"
"It's part of the solution"  ( I'd even go so far to claim that most people
					 will silently insert an "only/just" in here )

> I totally don't see where "only half ready" is implied anywhere there.

Then please step back and look again (without wearing the
philosophical "I-desperately-want-to-brain-fuck-you"-hat ;-)

Sorry couldn't resist ;-)

I personally like emphasizing the experience part and freedom as an emotional
thing (not in terms of freedom-warriors) a lot better. Ubuntu with its "let's
give the user a human experience" approach is definetely more appealing there
(I actually think that the word "Digital" does not really sound that familiar
and appealing to most users as it's still perceived highly technically).

Torsten

--
 Torsten Rahn
 Tel.: +49 (0)21 61 / 46 43-0

 credativ GmbH, HRB Düren 4052
 Karl-Heinz-Beckurts-Str. 13, 52428 Jülich
 Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz