List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE 4.0 Release Party
From:       Joseph Gaffney <cucullin () wtfisthat ! net>
Date:       2007-04-17 23:40:22

On Apr 17, 2007, at 11:41 AM, Wade Olson wrote:

> On 4/17/07, Sebastian Kügler <sebas@kde.org> wrote:
> > Let's think about having a party!
> >
> > For the KDE 4.0 release, Google kindly invites the KDE community
> > to celebrate
> > this release at their Googleplex in Mountainview, California.
> >
> > This offers us increased press coverage, spot-on where the
> > industry is.
> >
> > My question: Who would like to work on making this release party
> > happening in
> > close cooperation with Google? Since I'm in Europe, it's probably
> > easiest if
> > someone from the US (or in any case, nearer by than me) could take
> > this on.
> > I'm happy with providing assistance whereever I can, of course.
>
> Being in the US, but not on the west coast, I can offer assistance.
> Does someone want to be primary?

Hola! I'm not dead!

I am, however, way to overworked at the moment to be primary on
this.  However, I could ask our illustrious friends at Google in New
York about having a party there as well....

> > My personal idea of the release party is that we'd have those
> > parties all over
> > the world, maybe a bit like the Mozilla 1.0 thing. Whereever
> > people are,
> > there could be release parties for KDE 4.0. We'd coordinate this
> > event in a
> > global fashion then. For the US/NA party, we could invite
> > industry, press and
> > obviously community people, making this a high-profile event.
>
> Yes, we should have coordinated locations, and as much real-time media
> as possible.  Are we capable of uploading some audio and video during
> the parties?  We'll find out.

I know in New York its possible, though Google traditionally isn't
open with cameras and such out of nowhere - be sure whoever takes it
on makes the requests early on so its known.

Most of the locations are fully setup for VTC using a variety of Sony
EVI-D100 cams (standard def stuff), and a combination of polycom for
audio, and tandberg for video.  This can get pretty intense on the
line though without some other bridging service supporting, so its
definitely best to approach Google about doing something low res.

> I also plan on having cameras on the person that pushes 4.0 actually
> public, followed by a huge ball dropping in Times Square, champagne
> popping and thousands of couples kissing around the world.
>
> Am I joking?  I guess we'll never know.

*goes to get champagne*

> > So, who's in for an exciting job this summer? :-)
> > --
> > sebas
> >
> > http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org |  GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9
> > - - - - -
> > Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. Set fire to him and
> > he's warm for
> > the rest of his life

-Joe