List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] May 1,
From:       Adam Wood <AdamWood () xephi ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-04-12 16:31:13

On Thursday 12 April 2007 16:31:18 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 April 2007 23:34:55 Adam Wood wrote:
> > I just joined the list today and as well as agreeing that early milestone
> > announcements should be kept within the developer community this seemed
> > like a good opportunity to just say 'Hi'.
>
> Hi and welcome to the list.
>
> What are you interested in, what would you like to get your hands dirty
> on? :-)

I'm interested in everything. ;-) I don't have enough spare time for it all
though. I'm on the list because I think at a technical level KDE is a
complete desktop environment, and my personal opinion is that it's the best
overall that's available on Linux. What I find disappointing is that it
doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I think we, as a community, need to
aggressively push KDE into the public consciousness and have ordinary people
going into stores or to Dell and asking if they "sell" KDE. Linux is a scary
word for most people and judging by the success OpenOffice and Firefox have
had by avoiding that stigma it's one to drop. You don't hear Microsoft
talking about the Kernel in their marketing for the Aero interface.

Maybe the interest is generated by handing out fliers at trade shows, getting
computer magazines and newspapers to write articles about KDE without
mentioning Linux, or maybe it's something else. Either way I want to help
generate ideas now because if the release schedule for KDE4 is still accurate
then there's a lot to do before the big day.

I've got a lot on my plate at the moment but if there's a project that's half
finished or something small I could tackle then I'm happy to help where I
can.

I suggested an idea to the list this morning which I've been thinking about
for a few days. I'd like to make a Live-CD which isn't an installer or a
plain system but a nice ready to boot example of everything KDE can do. Well,
maybe not everything. ;-)

That turned out a lot longer than I intended so I'll apologise for hijacking
this thread now.

Adam