List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] [Kde-events] logistic and SpreadKDE
From:       Wendy Van Craen <wendy.vancraen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-22 12:13:35

On 22-mrt-07, at 01:40, Pier-Olivier Thibault wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 March 2007 19:16, you wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 March 2007 21:05:25 Pier-Olivier Thibault wrote:
> > > I have had quite a few talks with Claire about those logistic
> > > problems
> > > people seem to have regarding the promotion of KDE and the boothbox.
> > >
> > > I have also told Claire to put that on hold for a very simple
> > > reason:
> >
> > I've talked with Torsten, temporary solution is to host the
> > boothbox at my
> > place. (I asked Kim if it's OK, and she said it's fine. :-)) The
> > boothbox
> > will be shipped to Nijmegen, I'll sort out further details about
> > shipping
> > and will try to keep track of events. Bottom line: People who want
> > the
> > boothbox need to ask me to ship it, and do that in time, and
> > provide a
> > reliable return path. More on that later on.
> >
> > Long term, we need a more managed solution, that might well go
> > together
> > with a KDE office, which the Board tries to get running in the
> > course of
> > this year.
> >
> Good thing to run a KDE office, very interesting project!
> afaik, we could easily get a setup on SKO where we always know
> where is the
> boothbox. By linking the box to a username, it will be very easy to
> track
> down. Plus, we have a calendar system linked to an event system
> that will let
> us have a close look at where the boothbox is expected.
>
> I don't think this system needs to be very complex. it is only a
> damn box ;)
> hehe.
>
> Maybe a SQL database where you have the boothbox being linked to a
> user, an
> event and a date. Whenever it gets returned, the boothbox becomes
> released
> from the user's responsability. As simple as that. But like I said,
> Claire
> has thought quite a bit about it. So it might work differently.

I think it's a great idea and the whole KDE-team will eventually
benefit from it.

> > [...]
> >
> > > The only problem is the lack of web developers with SpreadKDE, I
> > > know we
> > > haven't advertised much about SpreadKDE and the need of
> > > developers in the
> > > past week but we need some of them. Luke and Niels can work their
> > > magic
> > > but they can't do miracles and this is what is asked to them at the
> > > moment: doing the impossible.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > What we need is developers, so advertise for us please to the
> > > people you
> > > know.
> >
> > I'll try to get you some people, that should be reasonably doable.
> > I guess
> > there are people around who know PHP / MySQL well enough and want
> > to help
> > out a bit. If someone can provide some guidance how to get started
> > with SKO
> > to not throw them into the cold, that'd probably help a lot.
> >
> Yes Lparry wrote a very nice paper about that. You can get to it at
> this link:
> http://dev.spreadkde.org/SpreadkdeDevelopment
>
> My guess tho will be for them to show up on IRC on #SpreadKDE,
> there is always
> someone there online ready to help but basically, anyone interested
> into
> developing for SKO should have a local copy of the website so they can
> experiment there. Another thing would be to get a SVN account for
> the /www/
> where our svn resides.
>
> Maybe Luke and Niels have some comments on how they could get
> involved quickly
> as they are the PHP magicians, not me;)

I have some graphical experience in webdesign (with Dreamweaver and
Photoshop), but it's been about 4 years since I used it.  However I
really don't know how great I am today in making a webdesign and I
don't have Dreamweaver anymore, since I switched from PC to
MacIntosh.  Is there a KDE-substitute for Dreamweaver?  Or do the
webdesigners only work with programming-code?  Maybé than I can dig
into the graphical part a bit, try some stuf out and if they are
okay, make some suggestions to the team?
I am learning Ruby at the moment (at a very slow paste).  I know that
with Ruby you can also do webdesign.  But don't count on it that I
can help in this area at the moment, b'cause there's still a lot of
learning going on at the moment.  When the time is right to start
with the serious programming-work, I'll let you know...

What I can do, is make some buttons to come in stead of the blue
underlined links?  These are really very easy to make and easy to
implement too.