List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] SpreadKDE's approach
From:       "C.M.Lotion" <clairelotion () kde ! nl>
Date:       2007-03-16 14:23:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On vr maart 16 2007, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Friday 16 March 2007 13:49:22 Wendy Van Craen wrote:
> > Today 13:49:22
> >
> > Since the purpose of the website is to spread the word for KDE, I was
> >    thinking: why not ad an online shop for KDE merchandising?
>
> The purpose is a platform to help people spreading KDE, a coordination
> platform if you will.
>
> Running an online shop is a different kind of thing, it needs lots of
> resources to be set up, and be maintained properly.
Actually, I think we should treat merchandising in this manner. We may not
want to make huge profits of the merchandise, but we _do_ want people to
buy and wear/show it. It would make sense if ppl could eventually
(pre-)order shirts for events, starting with our internal orders for event
presence. As soon as that works, it's a small step to other KDE
enthusiasts.

> Until now, this
> overhead has been too much for KDE, so we rather rely on commercial
> partners to handle this for us. KDE's core business is creating Free
> Software, merchandising is a means to making us better known.
Totally agree. However, taking care of our logistics (supply chain
management/ community resource planning) really is a problem similar to
that of commercial companies, and we can learn from them to prevent
jerry-rig solutions.

--
Claire Lotion

KDE Research