List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] SpreadKDE's approach
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2007-03-16 8:41:06

Ahoy,

On Thursday 15 March 2007 18:08:27 Pier-Olivier Thibault wrote:
> The whole point of having an anonymous frontpage is to get people CURIOUS.

I think you're right about not overloading people. I'd still like to see a
little up-to-date info there, like the latest (nonsensitive) news items and
events, underneath the general introduction.

> [Teams description]
>
> The idea with this page is to be able to browse quickly through the
> different teams to know what they have to offer and what kind of people are
> needed in every teams. It should give just enough description, so people
> understand what is the team they are looking at and they know they can
> contribute because they have such and such skills.

Sounds good to me, I think the teams with visible coordinators could help
address some of the very valid concerns that Sebas raised in his other email.

> [Team page (explanation, subscription and support)]
>
> This is the final page that a visitor will have a look at before he can
> contribute to SpreadKDE. Here, you make sure you understand what is needed
> for the specific team, what you are going to do within that team, and where
> you can get support if you need some.

Great, so slightly more info, and two tasks columns - some nice hand-selected
completed tasks, perhaps just write-ups to give people an idea of the
process, and in the second column grab a selection of the current
(nonsensitive) tasks. Get people enthused - "hmm this sounds like work I
could do, those completed tasks sound interesting, oh hey I could do some of
these incomplete tasks, I'll join!"

> I think that you guys were right tho on the close community where we wanted
> to approve every subscription. I actually changed that and everybody can
> now subscribe without having to be approved by a moderator. Once you are
> subscribed, you can access the Event team's homepage.

Great :-) Perhaps some groups could still require approval, so we can have for
example a private press release team (don't want drafts floating around) and
a private marketing working group team (sensitive information there)?

> There, you will have tutorials, handbooks, examples and previous work that
> has been done to show people starting off in the Events team how we work.

Interesting that you'll break the handbook down by team, there will be some
information relevant to all teams mind you like "developing key messages"
and "dealing with journalists". Maybe have the handbook be a top level menu
item, and then in the book the top level items are containers for each team
and some general information like those topics above. Then each team's
handbook link goes straight into their book page?

Overall it sounds like it's coming along nicely.

Kind regards,
Tom