List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Tasks for SpreadKDE
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2007-03-13 14:43:07

Ahoy,

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:35:17 -0400, Pier-Olivier Thibault <ximaginex@gmail.com> \
wrote:
> On Monday 12 March 2007 02:56, Tom Chance wrote:
> > I can't see any tasks - it would be good if anonymous visitors could see
> > appropriate tasks (e.g. not any confidential marketing stuff, but
> certainly the titles for release planning though not the full content, and then
> > everything to do with events).
>
> We (me, lparry, nievlsm and maybe claire, not sure) talked about that and
> we came to a conclusion where for an anonymous visitor, there is no need to
> show them the projects that we are working on as we are trying to get people
> involved in a different way than what we usually see on KDE projects.
>
> We try to make them curious about SpreadKDE, and make them realize they
> can help us get better. By showing tasks immediatly, we feel that we are
> skipping some important steps.

One of the biggest reasons stopping people volunteering is that they don't have a \
clear idea of what they could help with. Providing a clear list of tasks, and a means \
of sharing them amongst existing volunteers and new recruits, is one of the most \
important and basic tasks for group facilitators / coordinators, and this carries \
across to KDE promotional work.

To my mind there's no reason *not* to show this information to anonymous visitors, so \
it should definitely be public. Show people what they can do!

> > I tried logging in but you seem to be using a new database, rather than
> > copying over from the existing site's database. That should be part of
> > the task for copying over site content, otherwise a lot of people will have
> to re-register.
>
> One  of the point to have a new database is that we are not sure yet on
> what we want to do, we were thinking that it could be a good thing to share the
> user database with the one on TechBase.
>
> We also wanted to have a new user database because of the way SpreadKDE
> works. There will be 2 different front page, one for the people who are not
> logged in, and another for people who are logged in.

I don't understand, why can't you import the user database? It wouldn't need to \
affect how the site works, and I do think it would be nice -- less effort for people \
already registered.

> The one you actually see is the "anonymous" front page.The other one is
> being
> worked on. http://dev.spreadkde.org/node/97 is gonna be the "logged in"
> homepage. any comments are welcome.

Again, I really don't see why you have this distinction. KDE Promo isn't a cool \
people club, we want to be inclusive and open, make people want to get involved. I \
think the logged in page, by the looks of it, should be default!

> But like I said on my previous mail, IRC is a good place to discussed
> about the progression of SKO(SpreadKDE).

This is as good a place as any, and I'm too busy with work to get onto IRC, I'm \
afraid.

> > I can't create or modify tasks once logged in and subscribed to some
> > teams, so I can't comment further on how far this module has come. If I need
> > more permissions that should be made clear somewhere.
>
> Modules are being worked on at the moment. You can expect some major
> improvement there.

Super! :)

> > It will be really nice when the handbook is copied over :-)
>
> The handbook is a good thing, but we feel that our handbook is gonna be
> quite different as the one published on www.spreadkde.org. Also, we want to kick
> off SpreadKDE as a small project. I have been stressing on keeping it
> small as I don't want us to be demotived by the amount of work that needs to be
> done on a marketing scale.
>
> Some things are very good about your handbook, but some others will have
> to be left aside for the time being, as we want to have a constant progress
> while keeping everything under control. The worst that could happen to SpreadKDE
> would be the creation of a "bubble" where everyone would rush in to help
> and we would get lost trying to organize all this mess.

Hang on, who said anything about *losing* existing content? Can you be more specific? \
The SpreadKDE you're working on is the home of the KDE promo community, not a new \
project, and so it needs to carry across existing work. Some of the handbook may be a \
bit old, redundant even, but everyone should be involved in decisions about removing \
content.

> A roadmap has been created by Luke and I'll update it today or tomorrow
> depending on how much time I have.

That sounds good, it's important for everyone to agree with your vision of where \
you're taking SpreadKDE. Thanks so much for getting it moving again, though, it has \
sat around without much work on it for too long!

Regards,
Tom