List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Staff needed for KDE Booth at CeBIT 2007
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten.rahn () credativ ! de>
Date:       2007-03-04 16:07:09

On Sunday 04 March 2007 15:50:34 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday 02 March 2007 11:38, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > Concerning questions ( travel costs etc. ) please contact  or CC me
> > directly as I might not be subscribed on all mailing lists ...
> She was asking about future events KDE will be present on and specifically
> if we had any interest in combining booths at such events.

First I'd like to say that I was very impressed with the Kubuntu booth and the
fact that on LinuxTag Chemnitz it was pretty obvious that Kubuntu is about to
build up a strong community that cares about events. I also like to cooperate
with the Kubuntu people.
But  I don't really like the idea of combining booths in general. I have no
problem to offer fellow KDE supporters booth space on the KDE booth to show
their favourite distribution and I also have no problem sharing space if an
important partner community distribution for whatever reason didn't manage to
register booth space for an event. But as a general policy I don't see it as
an option.

First and foremost KDE is a distribution neutral project. We have a good
relationship with several distributions and officially "combining" booths
would very much look like playing favourites.
Another reason is that this would weaken the perception of the audience as
well as the exhibitors: It would look like

- KDE and Kubuntu didn't manage to organize a booth for each on their own.
- KDE and Kubuntu were not taken serious enough by the exhibitors to get
boothspace for each on their own.

And certainly we would get *less* booth space if we would combine booths. This
is already happening: Although in theory we could have a KDE booth, a KOffice
booth, a Qt community booth and an Amarok booth which altogether would have
more booth space than we are offered now these days all these projects are
generally regarded "offsprings" of the KDE project and therefore don't count.

So having seperate registered booths next to each other and cooperating during
the preperations as well as during the event is certainly something I'd be
interested in. That would also allow to "share" people at times which would
be good.
But "combining" both booths isn't really the right thing in my opinion.

Torsten

--
 Torsten Rahn
 Tel.: +49 (0)21 61 / 46 43-0

 credativ GmbH, HRB Düren 4052
 Karl-Heinz-Beckurts-Str. 13, 52428 Jülich
 Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz, Pasquale D'Alessandro