List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Kde's Philosophy (text)
From:       "Joseph M. Gaffney" <cucullin () wtfisthat ! net>
Date:       2007-02-27 20:13:17

On Sunday 25 February 2007 04:23:24 pm Tom Chance wrote:
> Ahoy,
>
> A good start! Comments and suggested wording follow...
>
> By the way, is this planned for SpreadKDE? Surely this is something that
> belongs on www.kde.org, SpreadKDE is a hub for the promotional community
> not the general public.

It is... though this would make for some good kde.org text.  For sk.o, some
trimming and I think its in good shape.

> On Sunday 25 February 2007 20:39:35 Pier-Olivier Thibault wrote:
> > KDE has a philosophy of its own that reflects the mind of everyone who
> > works within a Free/Open Source Software (FOSS). Two perspective can be
> > extracted from that philososphy: freedom and flexible development
> > platform. Here's an easy explanation of both.
>
> "KDE shares the values of the wider free software movement: freedom,
> community and high-quality software. Here's an easy explanation of each
> principle."
>
> > The meaning of freedom
> >
> > Freedom is a word that has different meanings. KDE's philosophy uses
> > every denomination of the word freedom without exception.
> >
> > KDE is free in term of money. Because it is developed under the GPL, you
> > can download, install and use KDE without having to pay anything. That is
> > true for the individual as well as any companies that is looking to
> > install KDE on all their computers.
>
> I really don't think we should open with the free beer pitch. First, it's
> the least important sense (yes, really). Second, lots of businesses will be
> looking at KDE and free of charge as a main selling point says "amateur" or
> "no business case". Third, lots of businesses already will be selling KDE
> services, including installation, and unless organisations have in-house
> expertise they're going to be paying for KDE one way or another, so it's a
> bit misleading.

Also, the free as in beer sense only goes so far.  Immediately the cost of
training, cost of migration, so on come into play anyways.  As an aside, it
might be interesting to see if there's any KDE-relevant data on migration
costs.

--
-Joseph M. Gaffney

"A Rainbow of Skyward Danger!"